Circle not circular on new 4k monitor

Hi I just installed a new 28" 4k monitor and found that circles are not completely circular (slightly compressed in height). The settings in Windows are on correct resolution and I cant find any other setting that would correct this (dont know where to find it). Anyone out there who experienced this?
All the best
Per

1 Like

What monitor?

Mine are pretty circular on my 4K monitors… Do you have any View scaling enabled in your Rhino display modes?

Acer Nitro XV282K

Where do I find that setting?

Options>View>DisplayModes>ModeName>OtherSettings

This is for each display mode… If both values are 1 and circles are still not round on the screen, then I think it’s not a Rhino problem…

You might also check here:

Sorry to hear that since its set on 1.0 in all display modes…
And the same setting as you on the gpu (nvidia)

So a pretty fancy monitor, so it’s not like a “TV” that’s doing overscan or something else weird with the input for no reason…but if Mitch’s suggestions don’t pan out I don’t know what else it could be.

OK, and you are sure Windows has the native resolution for the monitor?

Your image did not load!
Mine looks like this

Now it did…

OK, I’m out of ideas here… :confused:

Thats sad :cry:

Hi Per - Do you have any other applications to test against, like an illustration program or something? Are circles correct there?

-Pascal

In Illustrator its the same and in PTC Creo its also the same
If I measure a circle “on screen” its slightly squashed in height (200mm horizontally, 196mm vertically) so its not much but noticeable (it teases the eye)

Call me crazy but since there are settings in Rhino for adjusting the view scaling why don’t you try adjusting the vertical setting and see what happens? Also, have you checked how a square looks?

Dennis

Hi Dennis
First of all I have to change all display modes (not a big job!) in Rhino but since the circles (and squares!) is squashed even in other applications it dont help me a lot.
To all, thanks for your efforts!

Well dig into the settings ON the monitor then to see if it’s doing anything odd like overscan.

Hi Jim! Will do some more digging but could not find any overscan setting that had any effect.

Have you raised the same question with Acer? From what you’ve posted here it seems like an issue that affects all circle-drawing software, so it must be something with the monitor or the Nvidia driver.

I’d check with the manufacturer and see if you need a software update.