Circle bending

Hello,

I’m very new to Grasshopper and I’m having trouble bending circles. My goal is to create the interior chambers of a nautilus shell and I’m trying to accomplish that by bending the circles that I loft into the pringle shape, folding away from the previous circle. These bend circles will then sit inside the shell I’ve already created. Thanks in advance!

spiral1 TA.gh (14.1 KB)

download

hi
i am also very new to grasshopper. and maybe i am wrong. but i am assuming you created circles and then a planar surface?.
I am guessing you would have to start with some other geometry.
if i were you i would creat a sphere in rhino trim it so you have a “shield” sort of geometry. and then use array along curve in grasshopper. but this only an idea by a GH starter :smiley: but maybe worth a try

First things first: Rhino is a surface modeller meaning that it ends where solid modellers start. Meaning that if you want to fully walk the walk on that (fillets et all) … well … hope dies last.

Plus: a def that attempts to do a thing like this is 1% about creating geometry and 99% about constraining results (i.e. making it work regardless of any “wrong” user input).

Anyway get a brief indication on offset BrepFaces matters [the core of the matter] + straight ribs. Later I’ll post a “bended” ribs capability.

spiral1 TA_V1.gh (16.5 KB)

as always :+1:

Remember Lila? (The freaky girl). She said: I can do the fillet thingy. I said: modelling is kinda riding fast a proper Ducati: Do it wrong > die today. Do it right: die another day.

spiral1 TA_V2.gh (122.6 KB)

4 Likes

This is slightly better (a proportional rib thickness option added [If thickness < tol then thickness = tol]) … but still is 1M miles away from some real thing.

spiral1 TA_V2A.gh (127.2 KB)