Change script directory?

I would like to change the default script directory location. Is this possible?

Yes, this would be good for a lot of people, as the default is monstrously hard to find.

–Mitch

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any way to change the directory in Rhino. Instead, I’ve made a symlink to my desired location in my Dropbox folder so all my scripts are always backed up and it’s easier to find the scripts dir.

Here’s how to do that in the Terminal:

1. Copy everything in the scripts directory to your new desired directory (In my case, ~/Dropbox/rhino_scripts)

mkdir ~/Dropbox/rhino_scripts
cp -R ~/Library/Application\ Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/Scripts/* ~/Dropbox/rhino_scripts

2. Delete the scripts directory. Careful with the command below- it’ll destroy everything in your scripts dir.

rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/Scripts

3. Make a symlink from the new scripts directory to the original location.

ln -s ~/Dropbox/rhino_scripts  ~/Library/Application\ Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/Scripts

This will be Plan “B”, and thank you for the step-by-step instructions. I would like a Plan “A” solution as it would make the workflow and library references easier, but I guess I can always >ln -s ~/Dropbox/NEW_SCRIPT_LOCATION ~/Library/Application\ Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/Scripts for testing and different projects. Cheers.

This doesn’t work and I am not sure why. I can navigate to the intended file in the rhino script window OK, but when I execute I get an error:

EXCEPTION OCCURED
Could not find file “”
Traceback …
IO Error: [error 2] Could not find file “”

Permissions were OK, so I decided to just copy all the files back to the rhino script location and it throws the same error so I must have broken a PATH or something along the way.

This whole thing seems as painful as trying to set things from the Windows command window, or editing the registry. A massive effort was made to avoid this kind of stuff on the Windows side and allow the user to change these preferences directly from Rhino Options. I hope that this kind of stuff will also get done soon on the Mac side…

–Mitch

How would you like to see this done? Is there an easy/obvious method that comes to mind?

Since Application things on the Mac go into Rhino/Preferences, I would like a tab there to specify default (1) script locations and (2) file open/save locations. These settings should be stored locally on disk to survive a reboot.

@marlin, In order to do something like @harvey suggests I would need SDK access to add a panel to preferences from a plug-in.