Can't start rhino for mac

Downloaded rhino for mac this morning and have copied it to my application folder. When starting the app, all I get is a message: Licence manager: Rhino is unable to connect to ZooClient.dll. Rhino will not run.
Then I click OK (only option) and the application quits.

Any ideas?

Mac is mac pro mid 2010 2.8Ghz quad core intel xeon. 16gb, osx 10.9.5 (mavericks)

Thanks

I have the exact same problem!
Can we please get help!

If I recall correctly, when you installed your license, there was a checkbox that said something like “install license locally” or “use zoo license manager”… You probably checked “use Zoo”… Did it ask you for your license key at the time of the install? If not, that’s it…

Now the problem is that I don’t know how to fix that on a Mac, only on Windows… There doesn’t yet appear to be an internal license manager as in the Windows version. So @marlin, @dan we probably need a Wiki page like this one (for Windows) for Mac users…

–Mitch

Installation is just “drag and drop” on the mac, so there aren’t any options… even to enter a serial number!

I tried a new download and that didn’t work either.

we probably need a Wiki page like this one2 (for Windows) for Mac users…

We’re not yet sure that this is related to users selecting “Use zoo license manager,” but we don’t think so. @JohnM is investigating right now.

OK, thanks Dan… At some point we might though, as we have had this problem often on the Windows side… Would be good to know how to fix it on the Mac once the actual licensing system is fully in place and there is a MacZoo…

Cheers, --Mitch

At some point we might though, as we have had this problem often on the Windows side…

Oh, I think you’re absolutely right…we’ll have the same issue. Clicking that “Use Zoo” is way too tempting…no matter what platform you’re on.

@JohnM just checked in some code that should give us a better idea as to what is causing the “License manager: Rhino is unable to connect to ZooClient.dll. Rhino will not run.” Depending on how common this becomes, we may need to get another WIP out sooner rather than later. This is all part of the “baby-steps into Licensing” …

The plan is when Mac Rhino is released, it will be able to get a license from a Zoo running on a Windows computer. There will be no Mac Zoo for some time. We don’t expect anyone to really use this. It’s more of a development thing to make sure we can handle the license management down the road as Mac Rhino matures into a more full-featured product.

Oh well, looks like I’ll give it a go under boot camp (windows on mac).

Please download the 2014-11-10 WIP release and report the error message that you receive.

Hi Marlin,

here is what i get:

[quote=Error Window]Rhino license manager initialization failed with error -100.
Rhino will not run[/quote]

Just downloaded the 2014-11-10 WIP.
Got the License Code but no place to put it in…

Mac setup is:
MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)
2,8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

running OSX Yosemite 10.10 (14A389)

Thanks for the error number information, we are investigating the problem now.

Rhino license manager initialization failed with error -100.
Rhino will not run

I now have the same message as Marlin with the rhinoceros_wip_20141110 install.
This is now a different error message to the previous version, doesn’t mention the zooclient.dll anymore.

Same error for me :
Rhino license manager initialization failed with error -100.
Rhino will not run

imac 27" end of 2013
3,2 GHz Intel Core i5
8 Go 1600 MHz DDR3
Yosemite
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB

We are trying to track down the “-100” error but need some more information to diagnose the problem. If you download and install this version of Rhino and do the following:

1. Open a terminal window from Launchpad

2. Start Rhino using this command: “/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/MacOS/Rhinoceros -RhinoLog”

3. Close the error dialog you get when starting Rhino and run the Console application from Launchpad

4. Navigate to ~/Library/Logs/Rhinoceros in the control on the left

5. Click on the Rhinoceros.log item and choose “Reveal in Finder” and upload to this post or select “Mail” and send it to johnm@mcneel.com . This log file should help us diagnose this problem.

Thank you for your help diagnosing this problem.

I’ll make it asap!

“edit” : Tried but cannot find the log files :confused:

btw, the link you provide to download Rhino on your post doesn’t work

The logging was added in the new build, this should be the link:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.na.mcneel.com/Releases/Rhino/5.0/Mac/rhinoceros_wip_20141113.dmg

Ok, thanks, I’ll try it now

edit : tried it, cannot figure it out :confused:

This is after running wip_20141113.dmg?

A long will only be generated if Rhino is started from a terminal window using:
/Applications/Rhinoceros.app/Contents/MacOS/Rhinoceros -RhinoLog