Can a VaCurtainWall do this?

I need to create a row of glass panels with tiny gaps between them, held in place by metal channels on the top and bottom. A frame or mullion at top and bottom (only - not sides) would do well enough.

So far I have created this by putting the frames and mullions on a layer I turn off, but of course that gives me just a row of unframed glass panels. Not sure how to get a mullion or frame only on top and bottom.

Hi @djhg, does it work for you to set to the vertical mullions a depth and width value of 0?

Thanks.
The challenge is with the frame. I need 1/16" gap for the verticals and 1-3/4" x 1/2" satin aluminum on the horizontals.

Hi David, I regret to say that’s not currently possible. I think Curtain walls should have the vertical and horizontal mullions as separate components (that way you could hide one of them), in order to achieve that.

thanks Francesc. then it’ll be a separate polysurface top and bottom.

Could you share a picture of the result you would like to get?

Thanks Francesc:
So far I can just make the glass panes themselves by assigning mullions and frames to a hidden layer.
The aluminum extrusions are solids.

Hi David,
Is this the complete object? has it any framing on top or on both sides?

Is there a gap between the vertical division of these panels? I can’t appreciate it well from the picture, but it seems there’s not.

Obviously, this curtain wall has a level of detail a bit more complex than what the VisualARQ curtain wall currently offers. We can take this example for future implementations of the Curtain wall object.

1. Custom profile for mullion components (feature implemented in VisualARQ 3).
  2. Option to have a mullion between the frame and the cell.
  3. Manage vertical and horizontal mullions as individual components. Or add an option to have a gap between vertical or horizontal divisions of cells.
  4. Create curtain walls from Grasshopper styles (feature planned in VisualARQ 3).
  5. Individual Frame segments (Top/Bottom/Sides)

Let me know if these suggestions make sense for you.

Thanks Francesc.

That’s a complete run of the wall. Each swiveling panel is anchored by centre-positioned pins into the bottom rail and an upper bulkhead.

The curtain wall ideas sound good. For implementation ideas you may want to look at AutoCAD Architectural Desktop, which I used for many years. I’m sure Revit and ArchiCAD have more refinement.