Bug: ViewCaptureToFile is very unreliable

Sometimes Rhino 7’s '_ViewCaptureToFile command does it’s own things and refuses to capture the active viewport the same way it looks to the user. It’s mostly related to capturing in the default Arctic mode or any custom viewport modes that utilize shadows and “Lighting method” is set to “Ambient occlusion”. I’m forced to repeat the command once or even a few more times until it’s able to capture the image properly. I will post some examples below. Sometimes the output image is dark grey, but the majority of times it’s a completely black image.
The first time I noticed that bug was back in August 2022, then the bug was not seen for a few months. However, those issues are present again and quite often in the last days. I tried several of the latest Nvidia drivers and also upgraded to the latest Rhino 7 SR Candidate.

The bug happens if “Lighting method” is set to “Ambient occlusion”.

Expectation:

Unwanted result:

Expectation:

Unwanted result:

1 Like

I used to use that command alot in Rhino5 and rarely had issues. I noticed Rhino6 and 7 have major issues when trying to capture special display modes.

The best thing I could do in those cases was just use a screen shot instead. But not as good resolution of course.