Bug - Automatic spell checker in Text properties freeze cpu

Hi,
Rhino SR Candidate
Version 6 SR28
(6.28.20199.17141, 17/07/2020)

I’ve found that, when selecting a text with multiple lines, the automatic spell checker put the cpu at 100% until it finish to check (it seems that the control goes into a loop).

The problem is that the check finish in about 10 sec (if you wait without moving the text object, otherwise the time increase)… in the meanwhile the Rhino interface become very laggy.
If I close the properties panel, the problem doesn’t occurr.
Sometimes, the spell checker seems to be disabled so when I select the text, with properties panel visible, the interface works perfectly.

Is it possible to disable the Spell Check in the Text’s Properties?

My system info
Rhino 6 SR28 2020-7-17 (Rhino 6, 6.28.20199.17141, Git hash:master @ b1f15b655bd1f5ae0d3d3257e3efdeb0a45630e4)
License type: Commerciale, build 2020-07-17
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Lucio Zadra (Zadra Giuseppe)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: ZODIAC-LUCIO

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 7-5-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 451.67

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 7-5-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5167
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\export_PDF.rhp “PDF Export” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”

I’ve installed last SRC and the problem is still there.
Doing some tests, I noticed that If I click in the text box of the object properties (like if I would edit the selected text) stops the spell checker and Rhino turn back to work without any lag.
Doing that solve the problem for all text selections until I close Rhino; when I open a new session the problem come back until I click again in the propertie’s text box.
Into WIP 7 I have the same issue.

This is the text that I insert:

Dati taglio laser:
Lunghezza profilo = 
Numero sfondamenti = 
Spessore materiale = 
Costo Materiale = 
Ricarico = 
Prezzo Sfrido = 
--------------------------
Tempo di taglio 1 Pezzo = 
Peso 1 pezzo = 
Peso Lamiera = 
Consumo GAS = 
Costi Aggiuntivi = 0
Prezzo = 
Prezzo senza sfrido =

Hi Lucio - the steps are:

• Start Text
  • paste the above text into the text field
  • The CPU goes to 100%
    Is that correct?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
the problem occur when you select the text, not when you create it:

• Select Text (with Properties Panel enabled)
  • The text in the properties panel is controlled by spell check
  • The CPU goes to 100% (only the core that is used by Rhino) until the spell check finish

In the image above you can see that the spell check found wrong words and underlines them with red lines.
These words aren’t reported during the text creation so I don’t know which vocabular the Properties Text Box is using to check errors (obviously not the same as in Text Creation).

Hi Lucio -

Here, the words are found in the initial Text dialog, and I do not see the problem you are reporting at all, so far, at any stage of creation or selection of the text. Does this happen in an otherwise empty file? Your Windows is running in English, correct?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
I’m running windows 10 Italian and Rhino English.
The problem occur in empty files after creating and selecting texts like the one I posted.

I then Select the same text and the corrector report this:

You see that the underlined words aren’t the same.
The text I posted is the one that the corrector don’t like at all (don’t know if this occur because there are too many lines, or some words or something else).

When I select it, you hear the CPU fan that speed up (I have the case near the monitor) and Rhino become laggy

Here’s a video (hope you can see what happens).

I select the text and move it around; you can see that the pointer move but the text has a delay.
If I click in the text box to edit the selected text, the corrector stops working (no words are reported with red underline) and the text move without problems.

Hi Lucio - the spell checking is coming from Windows, and not from Rhino. I suspect the problem is the mix of languages, (Italian Windows, English Rhino). From what I can gather from the developers, at the moment the only way out would be to turn off spell correcting in Windows…

-Pascal

Ok, I was suspecting it was something related to windows because the Wip7 has the same problem…
I’ll try to disable this “smart” spell checking somewhere in windows and see what happens.
Ciao!

Do you believe that I disabled all the flags in the Windows options (keyboard input) and the spell check is still there?
I’ve also try re-enabling and disabling, restarting the pc several times but when I write a text in Rhino the spell correction appears again. :joy: Well… tomorrow I’ll start to play with registry so we’ll see who will win! (win, windows, who win? X… uhmm… and there on discourse? no grammar correction? Uh, Win, uh where, cmon… grrrr… hahaha damn… :sweat_smile: )

Hi Lucio- it might be worth a look to run Rhino and Windows in the same language and see if that makes any difference. I’m not sure what to do if it does make things better, but it might point toward the problem.
Our developer also could not turn it off, btw - we may need to add a test command.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi, I believe I’m experiencing a similar problem on Win 10 using English Rhino & Windows, so it is possible that the issue is not related to a mix of languages.

When creating a text object or leader, there is sometimes a short freeze (maybe 1 to 2 seconds). However, I’ve been working with a larger file (170 MB) and notice that whenever I select a text object or leader, the program freezes for a little over 5 seconds. This ONLY occurs when the Properties panel is open.

Hello - can you please run SystemInfo in Rhino and copy/paste the results here?

-Pascal

Sure, let me know if anything else will help.

Rhino 6 SR28 2020-7-17 (Rhino 6, 6.28.20199.17141, Git hash:master @ b1f15b655bd1f5ae0d3d3257e3efdeb0a45630e4)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-07-17
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Darin Russell ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: ECLIPSE

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (AMD) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 9-10-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.13571 Compatibility Profile Context 19.9.2 26.20.13003.1007

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 9-10-2019
Driver Version: 26.20.13003.1007
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Users\Darin Russell\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\RealDrawings (9aaa3b93-9ea4-4425-b44e-8a8c4500c274)\1.0.7030.16466\RealDrawings.rhp “RealDrawings” 1.0.7030.16466
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.28.20199.17141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

It it were me, I’d update the display driver first
See if you can find an updated driver on this site:
https://www.amd.com/en/support
Graphics > AMD Radeon R9 Series > AMD Radeon R9 200 series > [whichever specific card you have]

If that doesn’t work, I’d try disabling the “RealDrawings” plug-in as a test.

Any luck?

Here’s how I solved this issue on Windows 10:

Take ownership of files using Command Prompt (Run as administrator)

takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\MsSpellCheckingHost.exe
cacls C:\Windows\System32\MsSpellCheckingHost.exe /G [username]:F

takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\MsSpellCheckingFacility.dll
cacls C:\Windows\System32\MsSpellCheckingFacility.dll /G [username]:F

Rename, move or delete these two files in C:\Windows\System32

MsSpellCheckingHost.exe
MsSpellCheckingFacility.dll

This disables the spell checker.

1 Like

I highly highy recommend against changing any files in your Windows system directory. You can disable the spell checker in Windows through the control panel.

Thanks Esa, I’ll give a try!

Steve, in control panel is all disabled… but Rhino still highlits “wrong” words when selecting a text… Why?
And if I Click in the object propertie’s text box the spell checker stops working untili I open another session of Rhino…
So, are there other workarounds?
If the answer is no, then I have to follow Esa’s advice and use “brute force”.

no!!! Please don’t do this. I’m inclined to delete this post as this recommendation is not a good thing to do to your system. If you do, don’t contact us about problems with Rhino.

Please see the recommendation at

Steve, again, it’s all disabled! I don’t know how to explain better…

There’s no way that Rhino stops to spell check!
Also Pascal told

I agree that renaming system files is a bad thing but… I’m waiting to know if McNeel is doing something to fix that or not…