Broken and/or shattered geometry result in Revit after baking

Hello everyone,

Attached you will find several screenshots of a problem that keeps occurring to me and I have no idea why. Im trying to bake a specific geometry created in Grasshopper, via Rhino.inside and in Revit. The preview of the result seems fine (you can see in the screenshots), then i have some additional horizontal and vertical lines appearing on the geometry in Rhino, and lastly in Revit when I bake the result some of my geometry is being baked as fractions and it appears as it is broken or shattered. Anyone can help me out why this issue happens and how to fix it? Thanks in advance

Hello - are your objects very far from the world origin?

-Pascal

Can you send us the 3DM the model? We will give it a try in RIR to see what is happening.

Scale of the object and distance from origin can make a difference.

I see it is a Direct shape Generic Model on import?

Rhino3D.zip (13.2 MB) Hello Pascal, Scott,

Im am not 100% sure, but I think it is not so far from the world origin. Because I am using the gh commands directly on elements in Revit which serve as a base for the location for everything that is happening. And also, around 90% of the geometry is working fine, except some of the “panels” that are baked like this from which almost all of them are based on a curve or an irregular shape.
Furthermore, only a few of the “panels” are being kind off fixed when I change the values for the minimum and maximum limit for the scaling of the geometry, but this does not work for all of them.
Here is the .3dm. Thank you in advance!

So, this is a bit complicated. Revit is quite picky what it will accept as a BREP. And its tolerance is only set to 1mm. I see that the Rhino file has a tolerance of:

Those are much tighter then Revit will handle.

Here are the steps I use to fix it.

1. Using the attached GH to find the panels that failed. It shows the failed results in magenta in Rhino
  2. I set to Tolerance Absolute to 0.001mm and Angle to 0.5.
  3. Solid > Extract surface to extracted one face of the panels that were failing.
  4. Used Rebuild on those faces with 10 control points in each direction. Use the Retrim option.
  5. Solid > Offset with FlipAll options to 5 mm thickness.

The results go across fine.

This is one of the challenges to the process, how to model clean enough so Revit will accept the results. In this case I am not clear why this rebuild worked. But I will log this file for closer testing. We continue to try and see if we can automatically identify the Geometry that Revit will refuse. In this case it might have been an odd edge tolerance.

Do you get the same results?

Find failing directshapes.gh (12.9 KB)

2 Likes

Hello Scott,

It works perfectly for me as well! This is the result I was looking for so I can get the continuity for the geometry as a whole.
Thank you very much!

Best regards

1 Like