Bonus viewport with latest release of R8

I just reopened a file after installing the latest update (8.4.24016.19001, 2024-01-16) and I’ve gained an extra Bottom viewport that wasn’t there when I last closed the file. Has somebody at McNeel lost their Bottom?

does windows>window layouts>default window layouts get you sorted back out?

Hi Jeremy - weird… try New > No Template… is that what you get?

(not here)

-Pascal

Ah, OK @pascal, @theoutside, I went back to an older copy of the file and it did have a Bottom viewport - I just never noticed it (my excuse: its someone else’s file) as it is drawn underneath the 4x or single layouts.

So the only difference with the latest release is that it has drawn the viewports with the Bottom one on top of the stack instead of on the bottom as before. If I select the normal 4 viewports in turn so Bottom is back underneath and save the file, it still reopens with Bottom on top of the heap.

This is repeatable in a new file: Use _NewVieport to add a fifth viewport, select each of the four original viewports so the new one is hidden under them and save the file. On reopening, the new viewport is back on top, not where it was when saved. In R7 it stays where put.

Templates, including No template give normal 4-view layout.

Regards
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy - V7 seems to do the same if there is s central vp currently hidden (at save time) I don’t know if this is by design or by chance but it seems not necessarily too bad a thing to me to force hidden vps to be at least partly visible on Open…

-Pascal

The R7 version I was looking at was saved with a single viewport open and I was double clicking back to multiple viewports and the fifth was at bottom. If I save the file in multiple viewport mode it does indeed open in the same way as R8. I’ll change the tag to papercuts and mark solved. Thanks for prompt response.

1 Like