Boeing 888 "Triple 8" Concept (WIP)

Hello,

Just wanted to share some WIP screenshots on a personal project I’ve been working on and off for the last 8 months and will probably continue into late 2023. I call it the Boeing 888 “Triple 8” concept and is based on the Boeing 787-9. I enjoy telling technology stories through concept design and this one is a very labor-intensive one so far.

I started this project out of pure passion. As a former pilot and lifelong fan of Boeing, I wanted to challenge myself with an extremely detailed concept to explore not only how far I can push myself as a concept designer, but to explore what a possible future in commercial aviation can look like (futuristic interiors, advanced safety features, unprecedented views from within the cabin…the list goes on).

No “painted” features, modeling as much of the details as reference and imagination will allow. Every weld, panel gap, window pane, rubber seal, flight surface, etc. The idea is to tell a compelling and believable story through design, renders and concept story telling. Looking forward to sharing as it evolves.

Planned interior design inspiration. Drawing inspiration from a company called “Sky Style”:

39 Likes

looks very nice, anything you can tell us about the tip of the wings? i realise its a concept and you are drafting up a dream rather then engineering it from scratch and the tip is probably taken from the mentioned aircraft. i know that this part has been giving engineers a headache and i have followed some approaches to solving that particular part, i am not an expert though but this one seems like an interesting take on it.

1 Like

Nice !!

1 Like

Thanks, @encephalon. That’s a good question. Before I go into my Ted Talk and share some documentation I found…

Disclaimer:
This will obviously be a wild conceptual approximation. I of course don’t have the resources to run it through the unbelievably expensive CFD analysis cycle it would need to design it properly (which usually takes a warehouse-sized server to compute). Also, I’m not an aerodynamicist by trade or a designer for Boeing. So the exact reasons and design data would be speculation and if I was a Boeing employee, I would be compelled by a serious NDA to never talk about heavily guarded trade secrets.

So I’m purely approaching this like any good professional designer would do…act like I know what I’m talking about and give it my best guess based on the best possible research and intuition :slight_smile:

That being said…let’s have some fun:

You asked, "anything you can tell us about the tip of the wings?"

The “short” answer is that the raked wing tip is designed for better takeoff performance and fuel efficiency of the wing at a very wide range of situations. This is an alternative to winglets found on contemporary commercial airliners such as the Airbus A350 (picture below)

The long answer is: Don’t think of the raked wing tip as its own thing. Think about the design of the entire wing (aerofoil) as a whole for it to make sense.

The advanced composite 787 wing is what we call a “supercritical aerofoil”. This basically means the shape of the wing appears to have a “flat top” compared to more traditional top-rounded wing cross sections.

The wing shape (swept at 32.2 degrees) is designed precisely for what is known as a “long operational range”, which means it needs to perform a wide amount of tasks at various conditions an airliner will encounter in its life such as varying lengths of travel, varying speeds, varying altitudes, turbulence, various use cases, various configurations, economic conditions, extreme ambient conditions, variable weight loading, very dynamic performance requirements at various airports, etc etc.

The wing tips sweep back even further to complete the design of the 787 wings, versus a winglet which was traditionally an option (although not so much anymore) that was attached and integrated into the wing after the fact to give the plane better performance.

Basically, this wing design is part of what will make the 787 live a very potentially long life (easier to justify for longer) in an uncertain future in aviation compared to previous generations of aircraft.

Because the 787 wings flex so much depending on load, the wing tips also have to perform well in various camber (flex) configurations of the entire wing. This means the design has to perform well in flight when the wing is minimally loaded (minimal flex) all the way up to a fully loaded wing (maximum flex of the wing). So on the 787, the tip shape is exactly the shape it needs to be to work under all these possible conditions. So as for the precise shape of the real 787 wing tip, unless anyone here:

a) has an ultra-high resolution scanner and a 787 laying around

or

b) is a design engineer for Boeing and doesn’t mind destroying their career and Boeing along with it talking about the true details of the wing design

It’s all best guess :slight_smile:

Some light reading that might help:
https://www.boeing.com/commercial/787/by-design/#/smooth-wing-technology

4 Likes

thanks man!

Ohhh, that comfortable legroom <3
Beautiful work!

1 Like

thanks Tay!

deeply satisfying work in progress on flaps and leading edge slats

Early test screenshots for the exterior. Nowhere close to done. Getting an early idea for surfacing and the overall feel of the design. Also use this stage to start designing all the new textures and materials for the design in Keyshot11 using a basic livery (eventually I will design a custom Boeing livery).

3 Likes

Some high-resolution test renders before I go off the grid for a while. Happy holidays.

4 Likes

Wow, just wow. Inspirational work. Look forward to viewing more of your work in the new year. Oh, and the size of those engines…

1 Like

Thanks @Randall_Hammond. Just finished the new Boeing livery for it.

Interesting you mention the engine size as that was part of the intention. Inspired by the huge sucess of the size/power-to-weight ratio of the 757 and the Triple 7. The future is about higher bypass ratios and although engines get bigger, they are way more efficient than ever before.
boeing_757-1

In other words, my goal was to take the best aspects of all three 757 + 777 + 787 = 888 Concept. The engine pylons on my 888 actually had to sit higher now than the 787 to accommodate for a 20% larger engine.

2 Likes

Check the length of your main landing gear. It might be a little short for the take off rotation angle.

Something else to look into is shearing your outboard wing panels. This would flatten them out a little.

Looks good for an initial concept.

While I don’t know how well they would hold up structurally in flight, I really like the large window concept.
Windows that long would allow for some phenomenal views!
Nice work on the interior! This is a true “Luxury Liner”.

2 Likes

thanks Mark. Good observation too. Structural glass like this currently doesn’t exist, at least not in aviation.

This would be pushing a lot of boundaries in glass engineering, manufacturing, and a lot of other aspects of commercial aviation with current technologies.

That is one of the key points of this concept. We could say in today’s technology we can’t make glass like this. But the story will be that the airliner of tomorrow could have aviation-grade structural glass to open up views into the cabin we’ve never seen before. Glass that behaves also as reliably and impressively as the composites found everwhere else on the plane. Of course in concept.

We already see this in architecture to great effect being used today. So we ask ourselves “what if we could do that in airliners?”.

1 Like

Perhaps “Transparent Aluminum” is in order here. :smiley:

1 Like

star trek reference :slight_smile:

I just had to put out the Star Trek reference! Though it may be too brittle for the application, Saphire IS transparent aluminum.

1 Like

interesting…thanks for the thought :thinking:

1 Like