Block that has planar map - map not included?

I’ve got a graphic mapped to a polysurface (not to be confused with polygon object). I defined that as a block.
When editing inside the block, the mapping looks great.
When the block is inserted, it appears that maybe the planar UV map somehow didn’t become part of the block, so when it’s rotated, the map doesn’t? Yes, when I rotate it, it appears the map slides.

This seems a Little like a bug to me?

I thought, “ok, maybe the map just isn’t part of the block.” So edit block. I select the surface and show the map. There it is, in the right position. I tried adding object, but it won’t let me select that, so it seems it’s part of the object.

I’d love some help with this. There’s got to be a trick to it. Hopefully it’s not actually a bug.

Hello - here, in a quick test at least, it seems to work as expected - does the attached file behave as you expect?

BlockPlanarMap.3dm (195.4 KB)

-Pascal

OH! I got it to fail!

I did the test with what you gave. Change the texture to a bitmap and you’ll see what’s going on.
While you’re in the block, the mapping is correct. Hit ok, and it changes.

Phew, I thought i was just going crazy today.

So if you change the texture to a bitmap and then exit BlockEdit, the image moves? And if you move a block instance afterwards, the image slides, is that correct? And, just to check, if you BlockEdit and revert the texture to the checker again, does it behave properly? (so far not seeing any of this here)
One of each in the attached - do these behave differently?
BlockPlanarMap.3dm (239.6 KB)

-Pascal

Oh, interesting.
So I just opened your file. I’ve created a gif to show what happens if I rotate the box immediately after opening the file.

You can see it slide.
If I double click the box after rotating it, the graphic snaps to where it should be. When I hit ok, it snaps back.

Check to see if the texture is mapped to ‘WCS’ for some reason… should not be, it should be on mapping channel 1

-Pascal

It’s mapping channel 1, just like your screen shot.

I guess there Is a new Rhino build available. Perhaps this was something that was fixed. I can’t close my other files at the moment though. So I’ll have to test that out when I either crash and have to restart, or on Thursday when this is due. lol

Yep - I went back to 6.4 and I see what you see, and it seems to be fixed in 6.5.

-Pascal

Yay, I’m not crazy. (well, less crazy)

Good to know you folks are always on top of things like this though.
Thanks

update: on an upside, it’s just the viewport. Exporting the data into Keyshot the mapping is correct.

I guess that’s the main reason to move up from Rhino 5 for me. It’s really annoying when this happens to a block with gradient sandblasting used 5000 times in the model.

Because this is how the panar mapping inside block gets corrupted:

Cheers
Jonas

Hi,

I’m having the same problem, not only with planar but also with box mapping (tried that as an alternative, because it would lead to the same result on a surface). I’m using Rhino version 6 SR 9. Is there a solution to that problem or is this a bug?

Cheers

Hi Tom - this looks to me like it is broken again…
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-49085

-Pascal