Block editing

Hey,

Is there a way to bulk edit a blocks display colour without exploding the block or going into every part of the block?

Often blocks come in with their own colours etc, but as far as I’m aware, I have to go into each nested block and change the colour to ‘by layer’, which for some files can be quite a process.

Yeah, unfortunately, the block itself can be in charge of its color. When the block decides to be in charge, there’s no way to override it - it just gets to be difficult to discern what is controlling the final color.

So, probably you’re right that going into each block is the easiest route. Are these blocks all in one file, or are they linked blocks?

There’s probably a way to write a script to do this, but doing so may be more work than just editing the blocks - how many do you have to edit?

Unfortunately they’re all embedded into individual files. So if need to do it every time I go onto a file that contains one of those blocks.

I have set up a display mode that works to overwrite the colour completely (similar to Artic) however sometimes we’re needing to show colour on specific parts to show changes.

The example I had the other day was showing changes to as-built joinery, and the changes that need to be made to fit some fridge-Freezers in the space and all the supplier CAD files were in multi colours, which was a little confusing to look at.

It would be nice if there was an “override” button to set the block to a default material or “by layer”. I mean you can set the block to a layer, so in theory it should be possible to do the same with material?

Maybe you could “swap” them out for Referenced Blocks, and change the individual geo of those reference files?

1 Like

Alternatively, you could export the Blocks from one file that uses them, change those Blocks in the “RedoBlocks” file, and then import that Redo file m into each working file you need to update, choosing “Replace with Imported Block” option. Just make sure they’re named the same.

1 Like