Blank Floating Windows

Hi,
All floating windows are blank. Any solutions for this?
Thanks in advance,
Simon

Hello - can you please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and copy/paste the output here?

thanks,

-Pascal

Rhino 6 SR7 2018-7-18 (Rhino 6, 6.7.18199.22081, Git hash:master @ 123fa928529aea2697d4d286dda5f63a029d2a71)
Licence type: Educational, build 2018-07-18
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Simon Vorhammer ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-5VRONHO

IntelÂŽ HD Graphics 520 (OpenGL ver:4.4.0 - Build 21.20.16.4664)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.4
Shading Language: 4.40 - Build 21.20.16.4664
Driver Date: 4-21-2017
Driver Version: 21.20.16.4664
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hello - you might try updating the video driver, it’s getting a little old - I’m not sure that has anything to do with what you’re reporting but it might. Another thing to try is to start Rhino in Safe mode (Windows start menu > type ‘Rhino’, and look for Rhin in Safe Mode) Does that behave any better?

-Pascal

@curtisw didn’t we see something like this recently with another user and Eto based floating panels?

@stevebaer, all I remember was an issue on Mac when I re-wrote the layout infrastructure. I don’t recall any users having this issue on Windows.

I would recommend ensuring that all the latest Windows 10 updates are installed, as there have been numerous fixes to WPF especially when it comes to high DPI.

It also doesn’t appear that SystemInfo is reporting the Windows service release/version, it might be a good idea to get it in there if we can.

AH, this is where I remember seeing the problem get reported by someone else

Same problem for user texts, texts, dots.
Never happens with the “properties” , “materials” or “render” tabs.
My deduction is that you use different methods to create the tabs.
It doesn’t look like consistent programming, but heck, what do I know.

I just want a working interface back, and please give me a break with the Windows blaming thing.

Rhino in Safe Mode didn’t behave any better. Updating the display drivers led to startup crashes. I eventually went for a complete reinstallation of windows. That fixed the issue :wink:

This makes sense as the problematic dialogs are all the newer ones based on a technology called WPF. The ones that are working are based on very old Win32 windows.

It does look like some Windows specific issue that we need to figure out. If we can figure out what the different service packs are in your Windows versus Simon’s (who now has things working), we can figure out what to require in the installer. @brian and @curtisw I’m just mentioning you guys in case you have an idea of what to try next. This is obviously a serious issue that we need to fix.

@osuire when did this start happening? Did it happen when you updated to Rhino 6.7? Or has it always been this way?

Can you please run Rhino > Help > System Information... and post it here?

If you read the thread where I first complained about this, you will see the exact state of my computer at the time.

…or maybe it’s the other way around : you need to learn how to use this WPF thing correctly.
And since it took 7 years to get to V6, why didn’t you seize the opportunity to improve this tired old interface and update ALL the dialogs based on the same more recent tech ?

I am trying to setup an attributes-based workflow for an engineering workshop with 29 Rhino licences, and I have been struggling for months with a stupid display glitch, thus my irked tone.

FYI, here’s my Rhino version :
Version 6 SR7
(6.7.18199.22081, 07/18/2018)

And updated system info :

…and I’m still not seeing the dialog :

The text result from created _SystemInfo ( from the Rhino Help menu as requested), not the one provided by Windows…

Rhino 6 SR7 2018-7-18 (Rhino 6, 6.7.18199.22081, Git hash:master @ 123fa928529aea2697d4d286dda5f63a029d2a71)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-07-18
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Olivier Suire ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: PORTABLE-OSU

GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.5.0 NVIDIA 385.28)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 8-9-2017
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8528
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 6.7.18199.22081
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position”

Do you plan to fix the interface anytime soon ?

@stevebaer @pascal @brian @BrianJ @bobmcneel
Hi all,

I wouldn’t mind so much that Rhino 6 is devoid of true enhancements if AT LEAST the interface worked !
For 7 month that I’ve bought the upgrade, I haven’t been able to create dots or texts, insert blocks or edit / create attributes without struggling with the blank dialog boxes issue.

The least you could do is keep us updated on the status of the ongoing (I hope !) research to fix this.

Regards,

@osuire,

I am all for rants when software devs refuse to provide support or when they declare bugs as being features. But since this issue is happening only to you that kind of talk is inapropriate, to say the least. Install rhino on clean windows machine, reproduce the issue then talk like that here.

I’m not alone …
You failed to notice that I am not the creator of this thread.
Other people in my office have the issue, and their configs are completely different.

I’m happy to see that your interface is working fine. Why don’t you post your system info then ?
It might help the devs find out what’s going on by comparison to others who do have the issue…
Unlike your comment, that would be actually useful.

This is the key here. in my office. As I said above, install rhino on clean machine, run without plugins.

They have plenty of configurations there to test with. Machines where everything is OK.