Avengers (2011) Quinjet set design

Will do. I did actually bump into him at Lightbox Expo earlier this year. He had a booth there. Crazy amount of people so it was hard to chat but good to see him.

1 Like

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

was this for the construction only? or is the rhino model used for CGI as well when needed?

Primarily for construction purposes but all 3d assets are shared with VFX for them to recreate the interior for various wide shots and to integrate the set accurately into the exterior vfx model.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to ask you, @theoutside - are any of “your” cars in Hot Wheels Unleashed? I worked on the kart models for LEGO Racer - a Mario Kart clone - a gazillion years ago, and remember the childish joy of getting to see “our” designs on-screen and racing them. Somehow it had a more profound impact on me than the realisation of physical models.
-Jakob

looks like a few from the screenshots I see.

Strong - an extensive project. I was not aware that Nurbs modeling is also used for films.

Oh yes quite extensively . Sets , vehicles, props etc. A good amount of what we do in the art department is design and develop for the purpose of fabrication. While many assets are shared with vfx our primary function is the design and construction of practical elements.

1 Like

Ein großer Teil der Arbeit bei Filmen dieser Kategorie ist also die eines Industriededesigners.
Viele Künstler nutzen 3ds max auch für 3D-Druck. Nurbs-Modeling wird dann oft als überflüssig angesehen.
Nutzt du für solche Entwürfe auch Polygonmodeling-Software?

Excellent and professional art and techniques!

May I ask how much was the size of the 001 to 09 files? And which type of surfacing you used mostly?

1 Like

The overall file is 1.18 GB in size.
As for surfacing its all nurbs surfaces. There is a mix of single span but not entirely .

1 Like

A few more views

8 Likes

the only time I got near to that file size was a piece of jewelry that was detachable earrings, two brooches and three different rings in one, more or less freely transformable and able to be worn as many, semi combined or just one piece. I sadly cannot post any photos as it was for a private client far east, but it was about the same file size and good 350h of work…:slight_smile: Your models remind me of this project.
What would be the longest time you’ve spend on one model?

2 Likes

Hmmm , longest time spent. Last year i completed a project that lasted 7 months but keep in mind a lot of that time is development of the design. Most of these jobs last anywhere from 2-9 months and not just for one thing. We are typically handling multiple sets over that time. There is also many considerations that have to be made. Needs of other departments , camera, stunts, grip and electric, set decorators, SPFX all have to weigh in regarding their needs so that takes time. The actual modeling may only take a month or two but all the conditions required will drag that process out.

1 Like

very interesting, thanks for the insight!

1 Like

THIS IS SO COOL !
I had never think that it is done by rhino

1 Like

Thank you so much

What system and extra equipment you used for designing that set in 2011, and now, what computer do you have for new projects?

Back then I was working on a Mac Tower running windows in bootcamp. It worked ok but I was struggling as far as GPU since Macs didnt have the selection with Nvidia cards back then. These days Im running a windows system with the Nvidia Titan XP gpu. Older card but its doing the job I need. I have 128GB of ram and an 18 core processor. As these jobs get more complicated and the demand gets higher it will be necessary to upgrade hopefully with duel GPUs.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Scott! I do a lot of scifi in my free time for fun purposes and it’s incredible to see something similar but for the industry. Keep the dope work!

2 Likes

Thank you Luis. Ive actually seen your work before on Artstation, really great work. Keep it up as well. You should post images in your portfolio here as well.

1 Like

Hi Scott, thank you so much for your kind words. Hopefully in a near future I’ll be able to upgrade my workstation and experiment with more stuff. BTW, never thought on publishing images over here. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like