Autosave in rhino 6 ends up in recycle bin

WHY DO THE AUTOSAVE FILES END UP IN THE RECYCLE BIN IN THE LATESTE VERSION OF RHINO 6?
It never goes to the default location.
I have tried setting up a new file location but the probelm persists. … The file ends up in the recyle bin.
I am running Windows 10 Pro. The file never goes to the autosav folder ?
I have checked this by having the autosave folder and Recycle bin open, and setting the time for autosave at 5 minutes and it never shows up in the folder ONLY in the recycle bin.

Logikman

Oh yeah,Me too!

Hi @logikman - as Rolf pointed to, files ending up in the Recycle bin is expected. Since they are ending up at that location on your machine, it sounds like things are working but that you can’t find the correct autosave folder.

When you run the Autosave command, what gets printed on the command line?
wim

Not quite the point. The AutoSaved file never gets into the autosave file location, so there is nothing to overwrite. It simply goes direct to the recycle bin.

If I type “autosave” in the command line the file does end up being saved in the autosave File location ?

Logikman

Hi Logikman - in theory the Autosave file should appear in the autosave location as long as the parent file is open. When Rhino successfully closes the parent file, the Autosave version is moved to the recycle bin. What I think you’re seeing is that when you autosave, the old autosave is shoved in the recylcing bin and you see that - my guess of the moment is that Wim is correct and you are not watching the actual Autosave location for action there. Note if a file is not saved, on Autosave is overwrites the default C:\MyAutoSaveLocation\MyAutoSaveFile.3dm

Autosaves only hang around if Rhino did not close cleanly - i.e. crashed, otherwise they are tossed. This is a save-your-data-if-you-crash system and not a substitute for frequent saving…

-Pascal

Dear Pascal

That would be great (sort of) if it actually worked !!

What happened to me was I was in a drawing that I had started at 10:30 AM and at 15:50 the computer shut down inexplicably before I had saved the drawing. I rebooted to see what caused the shut down and found nothing that could explain this in the event log. So I then went to the Autosave folder to recover my drawing that was set to autosave every 20 minutes. It was EMPTY. Surely when a computer shuts down inexplicably Rhino has NOT “successfully closed the parent file”and an Autosave file should be left in the folder?

I have also established that nothing is left in the Autosave folder if the system powers down with the drawing open either ?

Personally I feel that the autosave feature should be a user controlled Backup system (by preference) so that the file is regularly saved in the designated autosave folder. It would be even better if the autosave did not overwrite but added a sequence number or date/time number so these can be referred to during a drawing session. At the end of a drawing session users can then choose to delete the autosave files or keep them and only then are they put in the recycle bin.

Logikman

I’m not sure if that is a question or a statement of bewilderment.
Start a new Rhino file. Save it to some location with a new name. Then run the Autosave command. Then search your file system for any files with “RhinoAutosave.3dm” at the end. Does that turn up anything?

Hi Logikman -

So at the time of the crash, the file was Untitled, correct? Was only one instance of Rhino running at the time?
What is the path to your Autosave folder? (Options > File page)

-Pascal

No
It was an existing drawing that I was updating.
Only one instance of Rhino running
Autosave path was the default set by Rhino.
I dont know if it is relevent but the same day I installed the Rhino 6 service update.

Logikman

Hm… it seems like some kind of test is in order.

• Open the Autosave file location in Windows explorer.
  • Start a brand new file in Rhino, add a box, and Save it to the desktop
  • Type AutoSave - what happens in the Explorer window?
  • Does the Rhino command line show the expected path for that autosave?
  • Set the Autosave time to 1 minute and add a box in the Rhino file. Don’t save.
  • When the minute is up, does the command line tell you its autosaving?
  • Does the path look correct?
  • Does the Explorer window show an autosave file with the correct time stamp?

-Pascal

1 Like

Dear Pascal

Sorry for delay in responding as I have been away from my system.

See answers to your points below in Bold red

I also Tried same test on my original files and only manual autosave works ?

The 1 minute ones go straight to recycle bin.

The other annoying thing is that the autosave file (when recovered from the recycle bin) in the current version of Rhino does not seem keep any toolbar modifications. This just happened when I was called away from my workstation and when I returned the system had turned off. The autosave file was in the recycle bin but when I opened a toolbar edit (that I had carried out about 30 minutes before the autosave) had been lost.

Logikman

Hi Logikman - toobars are not connected to individual Rhino files, so don’t look there for saved changes. If you make toolbar file modifications, open Options > Toolbar page and save the toolbar file. Otherwise Rhino will save it on a successful exit (last one to close wins, btw, so keep that in mind if you have multiple instances of Rhino open). In any case, Autosave does not deal with toolbars.

The test would be to see the time stamp - again, keep in mind that any time a file is autosaved, the previous autosave file will go to the recycle bin.

-Pascal