AutoCAD block description to Rhino block description

At the moment in Rhino 6, when autocad’s .dwg file is imported with block inside - only block name is imported, while its description is not.
Is it possible to add the possibility to import the autocad block description as well:

?

And can we have the same vice-versa: when a block is created in Rhino, and then exported to .dwg file - that Rhino block’s description gets exported into the .dwg file.

1 Like

Hi
I just added a Wish List enhancement request.
Thanks

1 Like

Thank you John.

RH-56137 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

I tested the importing of DWG based block with descriptions and that work in Windows and Mac WIP (V7).

I have not tested DWGs exported from Rhino with block descriptions and see if that comes into AutoCAD with the block descriptions intact.

1 Like

Thank you for the testing @John_Brock.
Can you try if the following file, after being exported to the .dwg file format - shows Block Description in the AutoCAD?
blockExample.3dm (31.1 KB)

Not today.
I’m working from home and do not have AutoCAD on this computer.
I can check tomorrow.

1 Like

seems to be working both ways! Into Rhino 7 and out of Rhino 7 into ACAD. Only tested because we have a workflow that reads blocks information, (from imported acad DWG’s into Rhino), and was updating the script to include the block descriptions. Nice to see it goes back to ACAD as well! (this was ACAD 2018)

1 Like

Thanks for the testing @chanley,

It seems it includes only the first line of the description.
Here is a full block description from Rhino file:

Or maybe AutoCAD only shows the first line?

whoops, sorry! I should have looked closer. It does include the full description. My first screenshot only displayed the first line, but it is all there.
BlockDesc_R7WIP2DWG_Full

1 Like

Great. Thanks Chris!
@chanley can you attach the .dwg file? I am just curious to see how to expand the Description field without entering the Edit Block Definition menu.

1 Like

sure! I actually don’t know how to expand the properties window beyond one line, (don’t spend too much time in ACAD anymore), but there is probably a setting somewhere. Anyway, here’s the file.
(ACAD 2018).
blockDescriptionExport.dwg (27.6 KB)

1 Like

Tested Okay in AutoCAD 2018 too

1 Like

Thank you once again both Chris and John!