Are .3dmbak files useful for you?

Hi everybody,

Trying to unify all my autosaves and backup files from different softwares to the same folder, I’ve noticed that as we can choose a concrete route to the autosave files, we can’t do the same for the .3dmbak files. Why?

I’ts annoying to have all the .3dmbaks around my work folder… but I use to save them preventing a computer crash or something, but I really don’t know what to do with them if I have my autosaves yet.

Well… what are this files really useful to? I’m reading McNeel Docs and Faqs and I’m not getting it at all…

Tell me about your experience with this kind of files please!

Thank you!

3dmbak files are created by renaming the 3dm file you originally opened for the current editing session. When Rhino is closed, the existing 3dmbak file is deleted, the original 3dm file is renamed 3dmbak, and a new 3dm file is written with the latest set of changes.

This is why you can’t specify a different location.

1 Like

Hi John,

There was some mess on my last project, so I was constantly changing from Rhino to SolidWorks and I changed the name of many files several times. I mean that when I finished the project there were lots of .3dmbaks around, so I never thought they were suposed to be deleted automatically. Now I understand…

Thank you!

You can use the task scheduler to remove old files by extension. This is how it is done in Windows 7:

https://www.howtogeek.com/201930/how-to-automatically-delete-files-in-your-download-folder-on-a-schedule/

The batch file would look like this:
forfiles /p “C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME” /s /m *.3dmbak /c “cmd /c Del @path” /d -7

In other versions of Windows it might be different.

Or you can use CCleaner or similar programs which let you delete old files by extension.

1 Like

Thank you @0netech, I’ll take a look!
Far better than searching .3dmbak at the explorer browser once a week…

I suggest to try KrojamSoft BatchRename

1 Like