Anyone running rhino with Quadro RTX 4000 graphics card?

i’m just setting up a new computer with a Quadro RTX 4000 graphics card…experiencing some glitches with rhino. for example, when i open a model half of it will appear ghosted. i have to select one of the ghosted parts and zoom selected or change views in order for it to appear normal again. also, scrolling through sheet layouts is extremely slow. just wondering if anyone else is using this graphics card and if there are settings i could tweak to improve performance. thanks!

Assuming you’re using Rhino 6, you best run the Rhino command _SystemInfo and paste the resulting text here.

But my guess is that you need to ensure drivers are properly installed.

Also make sure Rhino runs on the rtx and not on an integrated gpu.

Rhino 6 SR21 2019-12-17 (Rhino 6, 6.21.19351.09141, Git hash:master @ 4d373f64ffb55e3a8d607d9618590728d86fb1e9)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-12-17
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: sef.nola ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-17MTD2V

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 10-24-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 441.12

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-24-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4112
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.21.19351.9141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.21.19351.9141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.21.19351.9141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.21.19351.9141
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Go to Tools > Options > Plug-ins, disable the V-Ray for Rhino plug-in and restart Rhino. Does Rhino behave better when the plug-in is disabled, or still same glitchy behaviour?

Since RTX cards are not that old, their drivers are probably under a constant state of improvement. Since your driver is from last fall, it might be a good idea, just on general principles, to update to something from this year. Might even help your problem.

2 Likes

The current driver is from December 10th:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/155848/en-us

Strange…I did update my driver prior to posting on the forum, but it seems like my system did not automatically detect the latest driver. I’ll try updating to the one from December and see if that helps. Thanks!

The automatic driver update tools almost always fail. I’d guess failure rates at over 90%.
As a result, I never use them.
I always go directly to the maker’s site and look for myself.

I hope this sorts the problem.
I would recommend clicking on the Advanced option in the driver installer, and choose the “Clean install” option.
This clears any driver settings that have been messed with.

1 Like

i’ve updated my graphics card driver to the latest version. didn’t solve the issue. i’ve also tried disabling v-ray which also did not solve the problem. i have discovered however that i might have something to do with mesh objects in the various models i’ve tried opening. for example, when i open a model, parts of it are ghosted until i select a mesh object (usually something that’s been imported), and then the objects suddenly appear normal. any reason why having mesh objects in the model would cause this problem?

You might have bad objects and/or bad meshes.

SelBadObjects will find bad objects, and the MeshRepair tool will help you diagnose bad meshes.

What happens if you draw something yourself?
You’ve been assuming it’s a display problem and it might very well be buggered geometry.

i don’t have any bad objects when i run the SelBadObjects command. i tried creating a new file with self created meshes and i don’t have the same issue, so it must be an issue with downloaded meshes. strange thing is that it happens in every file that has downloaded objects, regardless of the source of those objects. so who knows…? as long as i select the mesh and change the view, the problem is resolved…knowing this workaround, i can get by for now. thanks for all the input!

The MeshRepair tool is very helpful for evaluating and cleaning up ratty meshes no matter where they came from.
It’s very common for imported meshes to be pretty crappy, as most of them are only intended for display, not for modeling purposes.

all true…but none of this explains my other big issue of how long it takes to cycle through sheet layouts! that’s the other ‘glitch’ i’m struggling with. it takes about 15 seconds or more to go from one sheet layout to the next. any thoughts on this issue?