Aeromaster LMP

can’t wait!

18+ :innocent:

Various plugs for CNC-milling of the interior panels and exterior panel reinforcements:

Reinforcements for the engine cover:

Roof mounting panel:

New dashboard and A-pillar covers:

Custom made steering wheel housing and brackets:

The front and rear sub-frames are now made from aluminum to reduce the mass by almost 3 times:

21 Likes

This is insanely cool! Renders me speechless… thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words! It’s a very exciting project and I can’t believe how fast the time flies. I started working on it back in 2007.

2 Likes

such amazing work! thanks for sharing it!!

1 Like

The model shown in this particular example consists some areas with negative draft angle, which usually require a large and expensive 5-axis CNC-milling machine. However, there is an easy solution to achieve that with a basic 3-axis CNC-milling machine, in order to reduce the overall manufacturing cost. It only requires to divide the model into several pieces in a clever way, so that the negative draft angle area (located in the smaller of the three pieces) is CNC-milled from top side and then assembled pointing towards the side. This technique makes it possible to produce such a complex model with nearly any 3-axis CNC-milling machine available on the market.

14 Likes

Pictured below are some of the possible seat positions utilizing a split frame design that offers a good amount of customizability. The adjustment is fully manual and requires removal of the seat itself, as well as 2 (tilt) or 4 (moving up/down and forward/backward) bolts underneath for each position to be changed due to the use of round holes instead of long channels. Channels are avoided for safety reasons.

The removal of the seat is necessary due to the very tight space in the cockpit when two seats are installed together. It would be basically impossible to reach the sides of the seats in a typical configuration with bolts installed from the outside. This is why a decision was made to install the 4 bolts from the inside, located below the seat.

Forward/backward adjustment is done in 3 steps by 25 mm each. Vertical adjustment is 20 mm high. Seat tilt is 4 degrees.

Tilt A:

Tilt B:

Low backward:

Low middle:

Low forward:

High backward:

High middle:

High forward:

11 Likes

bro all the pipes joints and assembly parts purely model in rhino 3d?
thanks

Yes, they are made in Rhino. Once I was happy with the final arrangement of the tubes by drawing simple lines, I used the “Pipe” command to make a round tube along each line. The process is repeated for the inner wall, as well. Where the tubes intersect with each other, I split them via 0,2 mm offset surface of the opposite tube, so that I can have a tiny gap between the tubes. Real-life tubes tend to have some irregular inner wall thickness and they are sometimes not true circles but ellipses, this is where the 0,2 mm gap helps to mitigate those imperfections.
As for the square and rectangular tubes, I simply drew the profile with lines and fillets, then used “Extrude” to make the extrusions in the desired direction.

Here is how I created the drawings for the turned parts:

7 Likes

Your art truly inspires me and a lot of other people.
Rhino is not parametric software, which is something to keep in mind when comparing it to programs like Solid Works, Autodesk inventor, and others.
Did you experience this too?
Accordingly, you may link the connections between parts and change one element to have an impact on another, just like in SolidWorks.
Tell us how you handle the changes.
I appreciate it.

1 Like

While Solidworks and other CAD software are capable to automate the changes of an existing tubular frame, it’s not a huge deal breaker that a Rhino user is forced to re-trim the tube ends manually. That’s just a very small amount of time compared to the overall work needed to design a car chassis. I find Rhino much more user-friendly due to the unmatched camera control and ability to go through extremely narrow spaces, especially while using Lens length of 35 or lesser instead of the default value of 50. Solidworks in comparison performs really bad in this regard. Another advantage of Rhino is the free-form modeling which is mostly not possible in the usual parametric CAD programs. Custom viewport modes also help a lot during the modeling process.

4 Likes

Playing around with some new panels for the Aeromaster LMP. I recorded the full creation of one of those from initial surfacing to making the 3d plug to be exported for CNC-milling.
I did lots of mistakes and obviously some surfaces could have been much better, but that’s the risk of having limited time as other composite parts and chassis modifications are on the waiting list. :slight_smile:

1 Like

+11111111

1 Like

Just some basic cover below the pipe for the fuel tank.

6 Likes

Amazing work. As an amateur racer and racing engineer, I’m just amazed at your work and how Rhino makes it look so simple! Surely an illusion!

1 Like

Simple ≠ easy :wink:

1 Like

stop quoting me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Decided to use GH to design an electric guitar, not sure im regretting it now :grin:

1 Like

Thank you! Rhino is actually a very capable CAD software, it’s just that many people are not aware of all the advantages it has over competitor programs. Modeling-wize, Rhino is perfect for car engineering, except that it lacks mating parts and inverse kinematics simulation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Bobi, fascinating work and great presentation of Rhino capabilities!
There are a lot of structural parts in this project, did you also do FEM analysis?

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t have any experience with FEM software and rely only on my understanding for structural integrity. So far everything works as expected.