A lot of fun - Morgan 3-Wheeler

what a vehicle - it rattles, shakes and you fly along with it just above the road, no electronic driving aids and no superfluous luxury - the thing has no purpose except to have fun while driving. The construction was made in Nurbs except for the upper half of the body. I have looked at hundreds of pictures on the internet to reproduce the details - unfortunately there are only very small or blurred pictures of some corners - that’s why the engine for example is only shown schematically. The lattice tube frame is constructed up to behind the driver’s seat as you can see it in all possible places. In some places I made small adjustments to my taste - dashboard - turn signals - rear lights - steering wheel - stone guard on the front lights - air filter. The rendering is done with Rhino 7. I wish you a lot of fun while looking at it.
Greetings
Rainer

29 Likes

Excellent! Nice masterwork!

How did you like working with Rhino Render?

Hello Nathan,
unfortunately I can’t evaluate the renderer in Rhino that extensively - I don’t know any other, but after I have been working with it for a while I think the results are pretty good - but I assume that it could be even better - I’m working on it (I haven’t been using Rhino for that long).
Greetings
Rainer

First impressions as a new user are great to hear too. How was it to set up your renders, what difficulties did you encounter? Or did it all come together easy enough?

Hello Nathan,
well - I have already created some themes in the gallery and the more I do the easier the rendering becomes. What I still find a bit difficult is creating my own materials - but even that gets easier the more often you use it. With the lights I have a little difficulty - I have as a hobby the macro photography – know me therefore in the large and generally with light guidance - I attached times a picture of the lights I used here - I do not understand for example why the main light over the whole side of the vehicle goes the tire inscription (writing is raised) does not make visible (as long as it has the same color as the tire) - but also I will still find out. On the whole, I think that if you work with it a little bit, you will get very good results from Rhino Renderer.
Greetings
Rainer

If I am reading your renders correctly then in the below annotated crop of your screenshot the blue arrow is approximately the camera direction, correct? If so then there is also still a light source coming from the orange arrow direction

Could you perhaps take a screenshot of your Lights panel?

1 Like

Hello Nathan,
so a picture from the light panel - those were the settings for the last pictures (the ones with red, green, blue, black and yellow carroserie).From the direction of the orange arrow I have no light.
Maybe it comes from the custom environment Sankei garden.
Greeting
Rainer

That was what I initially wanted to see, but it is more likely the sun. It looks like it is lighting from behind, so the side you’re looking at is in shadow, causing details to not be clear enough.

The Sankeien garden environment does have a light spot in it, but it is not bright and focused enough to cause such a sharp shadow as in your renders. It looks more like this with no sun nor lights

Hello Nathan,
the sun I set actually with most pictures in such a way that it comes from above - from behind it would not come through the background that is 10 meters high - I have attached you another picture with the sun settings - the front light should actually also brighten up - but as already said - the lights are also a topic with which I must deal further.
Greetings
Rainer

1 Like

Your sun comes from behind the car causing the camera-facing side of the car to be in the sun’s shadow. Your area lights (rectangular lights) aren’t strong enough to compensate for the sun strength.

Below in yellow approximate of the sun direction, blue your camera direction. The black gives you the shadow in front of the car. And again since sun is stronger than your area lights you the car camera-facing side is darkish, especially the tyres as they don’t get enough light.

To see what I mean you could disable the sun and see if you get better detail on the wheels.

1 Like

Jawdropping!
Never thought this could be achieved with Rhino Renderer!

It would be great to have it featured in Rhino main page

2 Likes

Really great!!

thanks for sharing-

Using some substance materials would take this to another level of realism, as would some use of the soften edges effect to break some of the extreme crispness of the image, (no such thing as perfectly sharp edges in real life)

I’d love to see an image of it with some chips and weathering on it… and the invertible oil leaks… :wink: The model is so well done, now I want to see the render tell it’s story… where did it drive? in what weather? was it clear or did it get rained on? Models like this just beg for the next step in image quality and the story that makes the image compelling.

Bravo!! Keep making these amazing pieces!

Hi Kyle,
I know what is meant - but - I have to deal more extensively with materials etc. (especially first find good materials as pbr files and find out how to use them optimally). I come more from the field of construction - visualization has not been very important in my field of work (model and mold making, CAD/CAM). In any case, it is interesting what you can do with the renderer in Rhino7 and when I compare today’s renderings with the first ones I showed in the forum - it can only get better.
Greetings
Rainer

2 Likes

Hi there

IT’s wonderful modeling and rendering.
Thank,s for sharing~^^

Yes wonderful “A lot of Fun” and full of “life” and “joy”. I really like the green coat. If I were to order one I would ask if the green could be made even more Forest Green; darker and keep the gloss finish.