Built with rhino!

All built in rhino, rendered in maxwell, and keyshot

28 Likes

Excellent

Hi Kyle,
Awesome work! I would like to see the VX100 rendered with a metallic flake effect don’t know if it’s doable in Rhino, Vray has this great stochastic flake material.
Thanks for posting your inspirational works.
RM

Effects like metal flake are possible using pbr materials. You can create one in substance or alchemy and use it in rhino now that cycles supports pbr in rhino! (Also pbr emissive with correct light falloff!)

Give it a go and see how it goes!

Fantastic!! When, how, for what. Give us more story to read.

From 2001 to 2017, I was a design and modeling consultant For mattel and built all of these from art supplied by mattel. These were all built in rhino and rendered in maxwell or keyshot.

Good times, great people and fun projects. Luckily after their work dried up and I was Able to pivot to Mcneel full time.

And again, good times, great people (Including you all!) and fun projects. I am a lucky guy. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very nice! You never know how it ends. For example the Citroën Osee made by Nicola Jardin was inspired in a toy car.

1 Like

A lot of recent Japanese cars seem reminiscent of hotwheels cars from the '60s…

2 Likes

wow, great designs, I love it, thanks for shared, it’s a nice inspiration

1 Like

Designs are all credit to Mattel, I’m just the humble model/render monkey on these.

2 Likes

Heya Kyle, just writing to thank you for being such an inspiration :slight_smile:

I’m 21 now but those last two cars were my childhood hero and villain pair (guess which was which lol). I spent so many hours as a kid, running around my room, making fake car sounds and explosion noises, and thinking up crazy adventures between these two cars.

When I go back home, I’ll try to find them and take a picture to show how beat up they got :joy: I think I collected 100+ different Hot Wheels cars over the years.

Anyway, maybe they’re just toy cars but discovering this gave me some perspective on life (though what perspective, I’m not really sure yet) so it’s really cool to see that one of my greatest childhood influences is a regular on a niche online forum.

Thanks for the awesome designs and keep up the great work! <3

Oh, also I know you said that you’re just the model/render monkey guy but that’s kind of where I’m at at the moment (albeit in a different industry) so idk, it’s kinda nuts that I’ve found this around the same time of my career you were at when you made them.