3ds Max --> VRScene --> Rhino

Hi all,

I am currently working on a renderable library for vray in Rhino.
Since most pre-done modeling is done in 3dsMax I would like to convert this library into Rhino.

But. my workflow is not working.

1. Strip the scene to get a single unit to export from the scene. (.vrscene)
  2. Import the scene in Rhino
  3. Renders → it works
  4. Move the folder to another computer/usb/etc → every connection is lost. :frowning:

The workflow is really bad, I know, but I don’t want to spend time learning max, just rhino as my main multitool.

Can someone explain me what I do wrong? Is there another way to export vray out of max without all of its mapping and connections (.vrmesh looses the materials)

Best,

Georges

Moved to Rendering > Vray category

Common errors are:

• no textures
    -“Unable to load Proxy Object from FileCommand: _vrayProxyImport”

Hi Georges,

Could you please check the following:

1. make sure the .vrscene file does not contain full paths to asset files. You can export with “strip paths” from max, so every path is relative to the .vrscene file location
  2. Check if there are messages before “Unable to load Proxy Object from File”. It really can be 3 cases:
    2.1) “Proxy: Failed to attach proxy userdata to the Rhino object” - rare conditions like out of RAM, etc…
    2.2) “Failed to add the proxy object to the active document” - cannot create viewport geometry
    2.3) none of the above - in this case there is a proxy naming conflict

I guess it fails to create the viewport geometry for some reason. In this case there is nothing to attach our proxy data to, so it prints the final message and fails to operation.

Thnx! Just tested it works. I checked the .vrscene file and this had a hard coded end.
With the strip paths the hardcode disappears. Only thing is to make sure the vrscene is in the same folder as the rest of the files.

I’m experiencing a similar problem, except I can’t select or see proxy geometry in Rhino. Proxy is imported because I can see it listed inside the asset editor but right clicking on the option “select objects in scene” doesn’t select anything. Any suggestions on what might be the case?

using zoom_selected in rhino returns

I have tried this both with .vrmesh and .vrscene files exported from 3dxmax2020 with vray next 1.2update.

Hello, Andres,
Please try changing the Preview Type of the imported proxy to ‘Bounding Box’ and let me know if a proxy preview object appears in the viewport.
In any case, it would be best to share the vrscene file exhibiting this problem with support@chaosgroup.com for further investigation.

Kind regards,
Peter

Hello @georgestaminiau
I went through the same issue you are having, it seems to be Vray 5 is having a problem displace certain mesh topologies in rhino 7 viewports. my solution works for me as follow

in 3DS MAX
1- Select the object you are including in the .vrscene.
2- Apply “Subdivide Modifier”
3- Apply “Optimize Modifier”
4- Apply “Edit Mesh” Modifier
5- export to .vrscene.

This should Generate a mesh with less trouble, and worked for me when I imported it to rhino.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will give this a try this week. Already previous tips are working but all tips are welcome.

I confirm that Vray 5 update 1 released today, did NOT solve this bug.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, mostly related to trees conversion. Is there a way to automate the process in 3dsmax?
I have a huge libraries to re-convert to vrscene to be compatible with Rhino.

i have the same problem, and my solution was to export it from 3ds in fbx file or obj…
But that’s a long process…!
does anybody have an other solution to import a vrscene directly in rhino ?