3D model from technical 2D drawing

Hi!
I’m working on a 3D model of a guitar bridge. It’s pretty simple and straight forward, but it’s taken me a lot of time to pull it, and I’m pretty sure there’s a simpler better way to do this.

Here are the 2d lines

And here’s the 3D model

What’s troubling me is the top bevel on the corners of the model. What would be the most efficient way to do this, since I have all the 2d lines. I thought of using Surface Network, but I have to add a lot of additional lines to make if work.

Hope I was clear enough. I added the Rhino file for clarity.
sample file.3dm (250.1 KB)

Hello - do you have a picture of the finished object?

-Pascal

Sorry Pascal, I was editing the post and I hit on Add post. Now it’s complete

Hi,

That “top bevel” appears from here, to be a fillet.

I would make this from 2 separate extrusions union’ed together: The base plate, and the side/back plate that supports the intonation adjusting screws. I would copy and keep a copy of the parts before union’ing. I even often add points to their height, so if I have to redo it for some reason, I know the heights.

A variable fillet can be added later. You can add a point where you want the filleting to go down to nothing, so later when you fillet it, it will start in a specific place. I would make another copy of the part, before filleting.

The the holes can be added by using the solid make hole tool using a profile curve. The countersinks can be made either from subtracting solids to make the screw countersink, or the revolved hole tool, which I neglect for some reason.

Also, the inside curved surface is a little tight, I hope you filleting operation goes well.

Hi, one strategy could be like this:
first identify some details:

this looks like trimmed fillets, I mean like the original solid was bigger and then trimmed.
I would extend those arcs to get the original dimension like this:

extrude the main volume:

apply the Fillet

now you can cut it to the final size here:

and here:

then you can make the difference:

2 Likes

Hello - one thing you will need to do if you have nothing better than this to go on, is make good guesses about the radii used on the actual part - what you have seems to be derived from a mesh - so in Rhino, using the Arc command > StartPoint is a good way (with End Osnap) to extract true arcs from polyline approximations. You’ll need to be careful to make sure things line up correctly, your polylines are a little messy - but it can certainly be done fairly easily - I did not frinish the job but you can get an idea how to proceed here-

sample file_maybe.3dm (634.5 KB)

-Pascal

1 Like

Thanks a lot Diego, that was a very detailed solution!

Thanks a lot Pascal!