2d pattern on 3d shape

Hi,

I would like to cover a 3d shape with a 2d pattern that I have, so it will “stretch” and “move” along the 3d shape and will be the skin of the object. For example: a ring (as in jewelry) that is only a structure that its skin is pattern that has holes in it. Or a building that instead of solid walls has a pattern of holes and a frame that define its shape…

Is there a tool in Rhino to do it? do I need to learn another plug in or software to be able to do it?

I hope its clear. Oh and I am not a mathematician… thats why looking for a simple tool :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for any info.

Try flow along surface.
use Help to figure out how to use it :wink:

Thanks. I know this tool but is it good enough to do this? see the example I attached :slight_smile:Screen shot 2013-07-03 at 1.28.12 PM.png

Yes it is,

see this quick setup example (note that the flow has history so editing the pattern or the base surfaces will updated the flowed pattern)

flow.3dm

Thanks Willem. I assume the 3d shape than needs to be build from one closed surface, right?

Yes, one surface domain is used to flow objects onto another surface domain. Here’s a video tutorial that should also help.

You could also use Grasshopper to make the design process more interactive… http://www.grasshopper3d.com/