2d pattern on 3d shape

Hi,

I would like to cover a 3d shape with a 2d pattern that I have, so it will “stretch” and “move” along the 3d shape and will be the skin of the object. For example: a ring (as in jewelry) that is only a structure that its skin is pattern that has holes in it. Or a building that instead of solid walls has a pattern of holes and a frame that define its shape…

Is there a tool in Rhino to do it? do I need to learn another plug in or software to be able to do it?

I hope its clear. Oh and I am not a mathematician… thats why looking for a simple tool :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for any info.

Try flow along surface.
use Help to figure out how to use it :wink:

Thanks. I know this tool but is it good enough to do this? see the example I attached :slight_smile:Screen shot 2013-07-03 at 1.28.12 PM.png

(Willem Derks) #4

Yes it is,

see this quick setup example (note that the flow has history so editing the pattern or the base surfaces will updated the flowed pattern)

flow.3dm

Thanks Willem. I assume the 3d shape than needs to be build from one closed surface, right?

(Brian James) #6

Yes, one surface domain is used to flow objects onto another surface domain. Here’s a video tutorial that should also help.

You could also use Grasshopper to make the design process more interactive… http://www.grasshopper3d.com/