RHP asks to be unblocked, but no unblock button in the properties

Hello,
I recently had a strange situation when I was passing some code to a collaborator. They were recompiling the c# plugin code on Visual Studio Express 2010. Prior to this, I was sending .rhi or .rhp files and did not have any issues. When the collaborator compiles the code and runs the debugging, Rhino says that it cannot load the plugin cause it is blocked because it came from another computer (or something to that effect). In the properties of the rhp, there is no unblock button (I’ve seen this come up with GH add-ons and other plugins with my students). So what to do? My collaborator can compile the .rhp just fine, but Rhino is blocking it, but we do not see any way to unblock it in the typical manner which has us go to the properties of the file and click on unblock.

A few more notes. The Visual Studio project originated on my machine. I passed it to the collaborator, the collaborator opened it up, fixed a few references, compiled, debugged, and then Rhino says this…

thx

Hi Luis

nice to see you are developing your own tools as usual (:
Is Rhino saying this or Visual Studio? And, could you please take a capture of the dialog?
Thanks,

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

Hello Giulio,
This is Rhino saying this on my collaborator’s machine, mine it works fine. I will ask my collaborator to take a screenshot of the dialogue, but it is similar to other plugin loading error dialogs (small screen, not much info, no controls except an x to close the dialog).

Luis

Hi Luis,

Does the plug-in reside on a network drive?

– Dale

This is a good question. I am not sure if my collaborator is running the project from a network drive. I will check.

Hi all,

I revamp this thread, because I see the same symptoms:
"RHP asks to be unblocked, but no unblock button in the properties"
This thread ended without conclusion. There is a hint that the issue might have something to do with network drives:

The error message only shows up when trying to Drag’n’Drop from a network drive.
When I move the rhp.-file to the local desktop Drag’n’Drop load works fine.

Does the Windows account have to be an admin?
Any idea how to solve this?

Any help much appreciated.

PS: If there is a viable solution / explanation for this issue, it would be great to update the wiki page which is referenced in the error pop-up message. http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/unblockplugin

EDIT:
The setup specs:

• Windows 7, Rhino 5
  • The windows user account is administrator
  • Rhino run “as administrator”
  • UAC are on lowest settings
  • The network drive is is mapped. (\servername…) with saved credentials

Frank

Hi @dale, i have one case where the plugin (rhp) must reside on a network drive and it does not seem to be possible to install because the plugin is seen as blocked. The file has been unblocked for sure.

Is there a way to install it anyway ?

_
c.

Currently no.

@stevebaer, any thoughts on this. Perhaps we should use Assembly.UnsafeLoadFrom?

Hmm… I don’t recall every using that form of AssemblyLoad. It is worth a try. @DavidRutten did you ever try this UnsafeLoadFrom function for GHAs?

Thanks @dale and @stevebaer,

we where able to install by adding the folder as a trusted share.

_
c.

1 Like