For Rhino V6 wishlist

This one you can do now - layers have print width settings and these will show if PrintDisplay is enabled. (could slow things down in some cases)

-Pascal

Thanks for your answer.

Can you teach me, or send me a tutorial link, perhaps youtube or other web link that i can learn for my self.
Every time i try to learn rhino layout expertise, i find my self in trouble. I don know how to work with scales either lineweight scales in layout plot mode.

I know how to change parameters, but every time i print a PDF test i do not get expressive drawings, like i can do in autocad… It would be nice that i can found a way, just to work and only work in RHINO… I need to well perform in how to use Rhino for 3D and 2D projects.

Thanks

Hey @Architex,

Here are some great videos on using the layout module:

Keep posting questions and you’ll keep getting answers.

1 Like

thanks… i will studie this tutorials.

Hey. :smile:

Just want to say thanks… I have try it and i think i get it. It is not so complicated. Just I have to do is to configure option panel - units - layout at GENERAL OPTIONS TAB.

Although, I wonder if it could be useful to possible see the thickness lines in layout, just before click print to see in PDF.

I think just toggling PrintDisplay will do that if I understand what you mean.

-Pascal

Sorry if you miss some “text” (bad English construction phrases)… go try again.

What i meant:

it would be nice if Rhino can show the Thickness lines in MODEL Views (perhaps in orthogonal cplanes; like top view, right view, left view, back view). Or in LAYOUT, right before we click to print.

for example: in AUTOCAD we have an option that is LWT - Linewweight (allow to see the thickness of lines. for example;
http://imageshack.com/a/img633/5280/cn6WoX.png

in CAD is possible to see thickness line effect in MODEL or LAYOUT during the work progress

In Rhino i think that is only possible after the final print file. Rhino do not allow to see the effects of the lines during the work in progress. Where the only way to change the thickness is at the display modes. But the effects is for all curves, not independent curves or layers!!!

I found a big waste of time, have to print significant number of pdf`s examples to see how the lines effect are.

Have you tried what Pascal suggested?
Run PrintDisplay command. Click on State. Choose On.

I go try right now. BUT!

should i do that in “model views” or “layout”?

Works in both. You need to turn it on separately for layout.

YA… i see… COOL… (you don believe that i have try to find this along time ago… inclusive talking about this to other rhino users and they never ear about it.

Well… i see it have a lack of detail
I change the thickness 40 to 20, and the look like the same.
change to 30 and they look the same.
only get real effect in 50 thickness (but i have to change layer to 0.50 or 1.00
better detail on that values

I will practice and play with it.

A BIG THANKS
:slight_smile:

I think this is because of the way it is implemented - lineweights are in inches/millimeters but on your screen that translates to pixels… Pixels are a fixed size (depending on the screen) and you can’t have a fraction of a pixel. Antialiasing takes care of some of this, but in the thinner lineweights it all looks the same - otherwise I think the really thin lineweights might just disappear or nearly so…

–Mitch

Thanks.

But it would be nice that RHINO have a better performance in 2D drawings. I think when that day arrive, all major thinks that still need AUTOCAD will disappear.

So i WISH Rhino could develop a further version with 2D lineweight better performances…2D Shadows with better accuracy. (sometimes the shadows don’t start were they should.
here an example of my develop project almost done.:
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/6289/5QyAsM.png
shadows don’t star near the columns were the should

next example, and i dont know why!!
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/122/JKsSR3.png
rhino draw the shadows ok. I don`t know if this is a GPU issue or CPU or RAM. or even from the complexity of the project.

600MB project size.

Intel i7 2,5 - 3,4 Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nvidia GtX 780M 4gb GDDR5

I wish RHINO have better SHADOW performance… Sketchup Pro have a great shadows quality. Why Rhino don’t?

Thanks.

really? sketchup has very basic shadows (one tone / no gradient / no soft edges / etc)

i guess it’s just personal opinion but i think rhino shadows are better.

And… can you tell me how to achieve that BETTER SHADOWS?

For example… Try to make a CLIP PLANE in some 3D Model (with Landscape) to get some “Section View” and then try to PRINT that shadows without the edges or curves. You gone see different shadows results then you have in same model in perspective view.

I dont know why, and i have try everything… SUN on, SUN OFF, BETTER ACCURACY SHADOWS OPTIONS and still nothing… And if you look in details, Rhino do not trace shadows near the lines, it always have some minor gap between the line and the shadow.

I am not saying that SKETCHUP is a better software. But is shadows they have better quality… Shadows and PNG results. And there is not any gap between 3D model and the line were shadows should start.

You should look better for my post examples.
Or this is some kind of an ISSUE due to my GRAPHIC CARD??? (it could be!=!=!?

This is just my opinion.

hmm… yeah, i’m not exactly sure the situation you’re talking about and you could very well be running into problems with shadows in rhino… i’m just saying in situations like these examples, i prefer the shadows provided by rhino… better depth, better visualization of the shape, etc…

(viewport captures)

sketchup:

rhino:

Jeff, I would say that your are talking about shading and not shadows, and I agree that the rhino view describes the shape much better. But to me the sketchup view is more delicate, so could you direct Rhino’s sun so it matched the sketchup view, to compare the shadows?

Thanks.

mac rhino doesn’t have _Sun but I’ll try placing a directional light in the right spot when I get back to a computer.

(but I’ll also add… sketchup shading is better than the picture shows… just that when you turn on shadows, it washes out any shading that’s in sunlight. )

1 Like

here’s the file with a directional light in a similar position as the sketchup sun…

(this is on my laptop though… i can’t really use high quality shadows with it like i can on my desktop (512MB vs 4GB vram)

idk, i just like the rhino shadows better… but maybe it’s because i’ve been staring at sketchup shadows for 10 years :smile:

1 Like