For Rhino V6 wishlist

jeff_hammond, thank you for reply.

There is definitely something wrong with the zooming - a lot of people experiencing troubles using it comfortably.

Regarding imperial system I already wrote reply in a previous post. I think we should not come back this anymore :slight_smile:

Hi there,

another wish for V6:
Give the SetPt comand an option to align between 2 points or even on a curve.
When projecting control points on a cplane all values are changed, not only the x for example.

Or did I miss another method?

Best

You can use object snaps (including Between or OnCurve) when aligning things for SetPt.

HTH, --Mitch

Hi Mitch,

thank you, didn’t know that one.
But it’s not really comfortable to switch trough the menu while the
setpt command is active as this option is available in permanent snap box.

But a lot better than moving by hand…

Hi Andre - it is very useful to have these Onsaps mapped to aliases so you can get them quickly any time. I use BB for ‘Between’ and A for ‘Along’, etc. You can also hover the mouse over the Osnap toolbar with Ctrl down to access the ‘one shot’ OSnaps.

-Pascal

This one is probably for @jeff , I would like to see the ability to enter negative values for View Scaling under Options -> View -> Display Modes -> [Mode] -> Other Settings. This would be very handy for making reflected ceiling plans. Currently you can enter a negative value, but it seems that anything <=0 is treated as 1. What I am looking for is a way to get a mirror image.

Thanks,
Sam

1 Like

I think a history free but more editable way will be a better future,just like spaceclaim’s direct modeling tech. you will never need warrior about the history tree’s constraints.or any behavior may break your history tree.

2 Likes

I’d love to see in V6:

1. **Bullet-proof solids like Symvol (**http://www.uformia.com/products/symvol-for-rhino) - all solids need to be guaranteed watertight, regardless of what you do to them. I must spend half my time repairing naked edges
  2. **Direct modelling like SpaceClaim (**http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/Solutions/GeometryEditing.aspx) - grab any feature and push/pull/twist it to describe your intent, and Rhino figures out which commands make it happen and which other features it affects.

The combination of these two features would transform my Rhino experience. It would also eliminate most of the discussions about history, because direct modelling preserves local relationships (e.g. I can drag a rib to another place, or re-size a shelled surface by dragging)

3 Likes

I have no idea if that’s possible or not, but +1 for that:

1 Like

Yes, a history tree is not a good implementation for it. I haven’t tried Spaceclaim’s direct modelling, but it looks great. Mcneel will need to focus on something similar for this release. I mean, what with Rhino’s place being an app for fast ideation, other software focusing largely on quick editability, and Rhino’s very long development cycle; it would be well behind if it doesn’t.

I’d very much look forward to this in Rhino.

My Rhino 6 Wish list:

1. Expanded Point Cloud support :
    • Ability to cut sections (with adjustable widths).
    • Select and isolate regions of points.
    • Adjust the brightness and contrast of intensity.
    • Toggle RGB and intensity display modes + combine both.
    • Planar shading mode (Colour point cloud by depth X,Y or Z)
    • Adjust point display size
    • Ability to automatically recognize and create elements such as Pipes as solid, surfaces and curves with centre lines.
    • Render points as Discs as well as squares.

2. Export to *.IFC format – It would be great if we could export Rhino solid objects to Revit as ‘generic solid models’ via *.IFC format. At present the best way I have found to do this is to export via *.Sat format.

3. *.SAT format Import.

4. *.IFC format Import – As generic objects

5. MeshFromPoints – create triangulated mesh from points rather than interpolated surface that overlaps points.

6. Mesh From Polysurface – create cleaner meshes from polysurfaces especially when converting surfaces created using the sweep command.

7. Flythrough Animation – allow animation path to be created by setting key frames of specific views and allowing Rhino to interpolate a smooth path (with option of a constant speed) between key framed views – similar to Pointools Animation Wizzard. http://youtu.be/XrGNPFwpMjg

8. Retopology – Something similar to Maya’s Quad Draw tools would be great for retopologizing meshes. http://youtu.be/SiRjOptXAPU?t=2m

Apologies if any of these requests are already active – I mostly use Rhino 4 (due to compatibility with a discontinued point cloud plug-in).

1 Like

Hi Greg,

A big plus would be .SAT and .IFC support, as are all of the point could improvements.

You can probably upgrade to Rhino5, benefitting from improved UI and 64bit, by using grasshopper to replace a lot of what you do with discontinued MeshFromPoints plugin.
The Delaunay component in grasshopper is very useful for example.

Best,

David

1 Like

[quote=“Findus, post:69, topic:3708”]
Direct modelling like SpaceClaim (http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/Solutions/GeometryEditing.aspx) - grab any feature and push/pull/twist it to describe your intent, and Rhino figures out which commands make it happen and which other features it affects. [/quote]

Have you spent much time with Gumball? I’m just wondering how much of the functionality there is what you are looking for? You can push, pull, & drag; objects, edges, etc…

Don

Hello,
just to add to the v6 wishlist without having the time to see if it has been already suggested: sub object texturing, material assignment. The present solution (explode) is destructive, unless I’ve missed something obvious.
Thanks!

I agree, this toolset would take Rhino’s booleans to a new level, creating more efficient and creative workflows in all fields of design modeling. Would love to see it in Rhino 6.

1 Like

It would be cool also if someone would have taken the task to write a plugin, which would convert NURBS surfaces to polygonal meshes, suitable for Sub-D modeling. The same guy, who wrote MeshFusion (Darrel Anderson), has written also GroBoto (http://www.groboto.com/v3/). The primitives he is using are very much like NURBS solids.

(This would rather go to Plugins section.)

1 Like

I would like to see: MAKE 2D from MESH | BETTER TECHNICAL view modes | BETTER HIDDEN LINES | BETTER SHADOWS ACCURACY | BETTER LAYOUT ORGANIZATION | love to see LINEWEIGHT CHANGES in 2D drawings in model and layout space | BETTER SECTIONPLANE, CLIPING PLANES options with FILL PLANES more accuracy | BETTER SAVED VIEWS with layers options at on and off |

You’ll have to come up with something more constructive here. Everything better doesn’t quite do it!

Already there in V6 development…

OK, i will try to speak more elaborate and detailed in English… :slight_smile:

In NAMED VIEWS panel options it should possible, when we save some view, that saved view also includes layers that are ON or OFF.

In DISPLAY MODE, the TECHNICAL VIEW (at options panel - “other settings” - “user interface” - “display Pipeline assignment” - “technical 2D”) when choose the hidden lines sometimes crashes or simple don’t appear… And when draw BLOCK that hidden lines are missing.

When work in 2D lines, in model space views, it would be perfect if we could change CURVES THICKNESS by layer and see that changes not only in layout (perhaps a little bit like cad).

CLIPPING PLANES - it would be nice if can be more accurate. Because sometimes, in “clipping plane settings” - “show fills” - take to much time to fill the sections or simple dont appear. Specially when we have a complex 3d model with many layers. It should be more fast and accurate.

In fact, if it is possible to change “EDGE THICKNESS” on CLIPPING PLANE OBJECTS, why it is not on simple curves inside model space but by layers?

(sorry some bad miss understood, but English are not my native language)