For Rhino V6 wishlist

Horizon Line toggle in perspective viewports.

or just an infinite ground plane (well, on mac at least)ā€¦ not sure if windows already has that

ability to enter rise/run ratio in angle commands (like _Rotate and _Line>Angled)

4:12

(unless this is already possible somehow?)

Yeah, emphasis on the ā€˜somehowā€™ ā€¦

Line FourPoint 0 r12,4 0

-Pascal

1 Like

hah. nice ; )

idk, itā€™s easy/fast enough to use a polyline to get the reference geometry so itā€™s not a huge requestā€¦ also, i donā€™t have to do it very often.
(i just use it to figure out a set of stairā€™s length/angle and/or draw the stringerā€¦ roof pitch is the more standard use but i suppose if the request hasnā€™t been made by now, nobody is drawing roofs that way)

HI Jeff, All,

I agree the gumball operations need to be smarter and provide the expected result, not bad geometry. Your example of extruding a face inwards (substracting) with gumball extrude vs. surface extrude is a clean example of something that shoudl be fixed ASAP to avoid users completely abandoning gumball and deprecating it for being a ā€˜bad-geometry generatorā€™.

ā€¦Iā€™m not sure many can agree with you about your curved surface example: extruding in Z direction is not the same as offset srf. Since the Ctrl/Cmd modifier of a gumball move behaves as an extrusion, it should always behave as an extrusion, not sometimes extrusion, sometimes offset.

i should of used a cylinder for that exampleā€¦ in that case, it becomes pretty obvious the curved surface should offsetā€¦ (any surface should offset-solid in this mode i speak ofā€¦ thereā€™s only one rule and thatā€™s it)
and the offset either creates a volume if starting with only a surface or- adds to/subtracts from a volume if the surface is part of a solid.

[Edit] ā€“ i guess the ā€˜not beating around the bushā€™ version of the request isā€¦ make a push/pull tool like sketchup :smile:
(except in rhino, it would/could also work on curved surfaces instead of planes only)

Wish
Scale, with choose origin point - center, bottom, top, right, left, top-right etc. by bounding box, and do it automatic, without pick point.

bottom, top, right, left - i mean midpoint of bottom, midpoint of top etc.

example

ScaleByBoundingBox
ScaleType=TopLeft
ScaleFactor 1.25

Sorry for my english.

Wish
add ā€œundoā€ in InsertControlPoint

Hi Tatar,

FWIW:
Hhave a look at the boxedit panel, it has the option to do that type of scaling (form boundingbox extremes).
http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/boxedit.htm#kanchor379

-Willem

1 Like

Is V6 wishlist also open doors for V5 bugs, I dont want to have to wait until V6 to have this bug resolved as its something that is a killer in V5 but the bug that will guaranteed re-arrange layers especially when nesting layers and upon closure and open of files just cannot be allowed to survive by the time V6 appears. If one is using layer draw order its even worse.

Layers I am currently working on I create at top of stack, and I have many layers, 50, 100 etc. When I close the prog and open next day they are gone. If I were to nest a few of them into a collective layer they immediately vanish. Furthermore the act of nesting also send those I havent nested to the bottom !

Sometimes they just vanish without either of those being done.

This is a real painā€¦its not just me, as I have a new PC and its doing it on that now. Layers we use all the time, its not a tool that has a glitch that is a pain when we come to occasionally use it. Layers are fundamental to work flow.

Where have they gone, to base of layer stack, down below my raster images which I always have at the bottom. Should I use layer draw order one draws over plans so hence the order !

Drag them back to top, takes a while, there is no quick way to do that, but I had them there in a particular order, now I have to try and re-order them again, only for this to happen again. It is guaranteed to happen with new layers, once back there usually they behave. This issue was flagged up in July 2014 and acknowledged but still remains.

Tempted to return to V4 due to this problem as it really messes me around.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix in V5 , its a daily task dragging layers back to top. but please ensure this isnā€™t happening in V6.

Steve

Noā€¦

I hope that means then that we can see a fix to this before V6 appears, no way can V6 be allowed to have this occurring.

Steve

Wish
Add Press Alt for kink, Crtl to move curve point commands from HandleCurve to Curve and InterpCrv.
This would give more control over the creation of curves - instead use UNDO move point with CTRL.

1 Like

There are so many graphic bugs when I use Clipping Planeā€¦
Most of time I miss the clipped Edges when I use the Clipping Plane command ā€¦
I miss also the fills of the clipped modelsā€¦

Hope also the Open GL support is getting better on Rhino 6ā€¦
When I print clipped models without turn of Open GL, the print looks horribleā€¦
Printing quality in a general sense could be betterā€¦

Also the Display Modes could get more smoother, and better gradiends , and less artefacts

Iā€™d love to see history added to Boolean commands (especially BooleanDifference). I realize this may bloat the file considerably, but it would be very helpful in moving Rhino towards a more parametric modeling approach. Besides, Save Small or some other command could always purge history of this sort (similar to clearing Trim history).

Hi,

I would like to have the ability in RH6 to color the layers in the layer manager. As I am usually working with a lot of different layers and it would make it easier to find them again when scrolling down the long list.
Have a look at the attached picture that shows my intention.

14 Likes

nice idea.

could be an attribute such as layer colour, layer material etc
alternatively, could happen based on the layer hierarchy (as shown)

the tone could even be varied based on the first few letters of the layer name. I know this is ambiguous but at least in construction there are standard prefixes (such as ā€œA-ā€ for architect) which could be used.

This is a tiny wishā€¦

Please allow user to set a system variable that determines the Text Dot size for the document, OR allow to set the dot size in the Display Pipeline DrawDot method! I use Dots all the time to provide realtime feedback via custom display conduits, but those damn dots are always so big! :smile:

1 Like

in the demise/buyout of vsr and other I would really like to see some tool to help a low cv/high surface quality workflow.
in my opinion most needed are:

-interactive controllpoint modeling with blending factors for u/v cvs and locking for rows of cv (blending = to distibute the change over a larger number of cvs)
-interactive crv/srf blend with control over degree and spans
-interactive crv/srf matching with blending for the rest of cvs
-create symmetry/ (constrain a srf/curve to be symmetrical over a given axis)
-generally a way to influence input srf/crv while using a tool (e.g. dynamically trim a srf when blending)
-more ways to check srf quality ( like AD lightlines or Alias curvature combplots)
-approximate edge: rebuild an edge to a low span value
-a tool to pull/project srf-cvs with blending

I really hope rhino gets some (more) tools to enable a workflow where surface quality is key :smiley:

4 Likes