Font Rendering Problems

Hi,
a few weeks back someone started a thread named Dimensions not showing to address display problems with dimensions, which I also had that time. So I’ve put in some of my observations and screenshots.

Now, with 5A701, the problem is still there.

And it is not limited to dimensions, but text objects in general. Today I can provide a few more hints that may help tackling that bug down.

The unwanted effects like the one in the picture above (and the ones in the abovementioned thread) are independent of model or document size. In fact the example here is a new model with one single text object. I had this issue with all of my models, sooner or later.

They are somehow related to system hibernation. The distorted text “test” occured right after one sleep-wake-cycle with Rhino running. The model hasn’t been saved to disk. The sleep-wake-relationship is a strong one, but it’s not a requirement for what I can say. I’ve also had distortions on a freshly booted Mac, especially with the next one.

A strong ‘supporter’ is OS X’s Spaces. I use Spaces a lot, and while switching between applications and their virtual screens, the pattern of the distortions vary. Sometimes between every single swipe from rhino and to rhino having it on it’s own fullscreen space. And they can start happening with the use of Spaces. One back-and-forth between Spaces and correctly displayed fonts are broken. Once they are messed up, they stay messed up until reload.

There have been cases when the distortion patterns changed live when zooming in or out. Or when altering the viewpoint on the model in Rhino’s Perspective Viewport.

They are gone (for a while) when I save the document and re-open Rhino and re-load the model.

The fonts I tested this issue with include Arial and Helvetica Neue. All fonts on my system are okay from what Font Book’s validation routine tells. My OS X is 10.10.1. If you need further details, pls let me know.

Wow, sounds like you have done some serious investigating. Thanks for working on this. I’m still having difficulty reproducing this on my machine. You say it is likely related to hibernation…what are your settings? Can you give steps that are reliable in reproducing the issue? Or is it still too sporadic?

Hi Dan,
yes it is a bit blurry, otherwise I would’ve provided steps to get there. My machine’s hibernation settings are nothing special, just the things everyone would configure in system prefs ‘Energy’ to send the computer to sleep after an hour of idling or so.

What I can provide today is the confirmation that, after upgrading to rhino 5A723 and 10.10.2 recently, the problem still exists:

This is how it looks right after switching between spaces via F3 key while having rhino open for a couple of hours. The computer has an uptime of 4 days 21 hrs.

I had hopes it would’ve vanished due to the ongoing work on either OS X’s or rhino’s side. But apparently not yet.

Man, this is tough one for me to replicate. I also use spaces a lot in OS X. Today, I opened a new file and created some text “This is a test” using the “Text” command. I let me computer sit for an hour, then went away. When I came back, I logged back in, and the text was fine. I closed the screen on my MBP and came back in 3 hours…same thing. So I went ahead and let my MBP run fro another 3 hours without issue. I can’t seem to replicate it. Do you think I have to actively be using Spaces to do other stuff? Or can you get this bug to show up by just letting your machines sit idle? Also, is Rhino running in fullscreen mode?

I’m testing this with the latest WIP (5A732).

So, I have had this happen on and off for a while. Never work Full-Screen, just so you know. So I had a rhino files open that I thought dimensions were fine. I opened a new file to copy objects for the original file. When I went back to my original file I had this …

And my second file, still open, displays this …

«Randy

Weird. Especially weird, regarding the opening of a new file. Do you use Spaces like Emeli?

Well, knowing that you never work in Fullscreen is good to know (not that it really was a great clue to begin with).

I’d log a bug, but I can’t replicate this yet… I’d like to get @stevebaer’s eyes on this as well.

I don’t use Spaces, and it gets better, see this …

This was before turning on my info layer that has design information on it, Done the same on each file I make.

And I open a previously finished file …

All these files are open right now

I do use CTRL+F3 to go between Windows though.

And if I close the file and reopen it …

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 WIP (5A732)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.3 (Build 14D105g)

Plug-ins
/Users/jewelpop/Library/ColorPickers/SkalaColor.colorPicker/Contents/MacOS/SkalaColor

Third party kernel extensions
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (4236)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac12,2
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500S CPU @ 2.70GHz
Memory: 20 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 2560 x 1440, 1280 x 1024
Displays: iMac (109dpi 1x), BenQ T701 (96dpi 1x)

USB devices
Microsoft: Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye™
Apple, Inc: Apple Keyboard
Apple: Internal Memory Card Reader
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.32.13
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 0x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

I cannot replicate this , but i realized that some letters were missing in top view. This is where I was running my script (CMD+R to Call Atom) for weight & info. I had the side linear dimensions already. Once I selected the text to double check properties text panel. The linear dimension in the front viewport went into Square Mode. Just if it helps …

I think someone doesn’t like lower-case d & #-6

«Randy

Getting weirder and weirder. Wait, does this mean you can replicate the letters being missing in the top view? If so, can you send along the file (dan@mcneel.com)?

A snow storm day here, so not heading to office. All seems fine on my home computer, I will put INFO at end. All I can say is that the file in the screenshots, was done and saved on 27 october, then opened yesterday to make a few tweaks. The text was not touched, but the linear dimensions were added. This fonts turning into blocks has happened on and off for at least the last year, not as frequently as the viewport changing from shaded to wireframe when doing a trim, for example. Not enough to be annoying, but I cannot ever replicate it. I should be back at the office tomorrow. I will check then.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 WIP (5A732)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.3 (Build 14D105g)

Plug-ins
/Users/fatty/Library/ColorPickers/SkalaColor.colorPicker/Contents/MacOS/SkalaColor

Third party kernel extensions
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (4234)
com.digidesign.mbox2.boot.driver (10.3.5f211)
com.Greatdy.driver.SystemAudioCapture (1.0.0)
com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (1.6.6)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacPro2,1
Processor: Intel Xeon CPU 5150 @ 2.66GHz
Memory: 22 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 1680 x 1050, 1920 x 1200
Displays: Cinema (99dpi 1x), BenQ FP231W (98dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: iPhone
PixArt: DynexWired USB Optical Mouse
Apple Inc.: Apple Keyboard
Apple Computer, Inc.: Apple Cinema Display
Canon: CanoScan
Digidesign: Mbox 2

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.32.13
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 0x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

I’m not sure what this bug is. We use textured quads for font rendering on Mac Rhino. It looks like the textures are getting discarded for some reason. Without being able to repeat this, it is going to be very hard to correct.

Agreed. I haven’t logged a bug for this yet because of the lack of repeatability.

http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/MR-1582

It’s been reported by several users. I’m unable to reproduce it either.

Hi,
just a quick update on this one:

With 5A808w it’s still there.

Sadly, I cannot provide many more details to the ones I already did. This time it turned up an hour or so into editing a new model with 5A808w freshly installed and fired up – without hibernating the machine in between. That’s the news. In past cases putting system to sleep was an apparently mandatory condition. Though, machine hasn’t booted in days.

I just made some changes to the code yesterday that should fix this issue. You should see this fix in the next release (probably next Tuesday.)