Where did my text go!

After opening a previously worked on file, I notice that certain text is missing from my Layout Space. For example, all the “i’s” or “t’s” will be missing. In this case, I am currently missing i’s and c’s. I have opened and closed this file multiple times without this happening, then all of a sudden it will do it. I can change it to a different font, but it will happen after a period of time. It is not specific to certain type of font, it has happened with 4 different fonts I am using.

I searched the forum, but turned up blank. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

maybe its an alien trying to communicate and with the letters “i c” it may want to say
i am watching yooouuuuu :smile:

back to serious :slight_smile: did that happen on several files or on the same?
maybe @BrianJ has time to chime in

Hi Jason - can you post an example where the problem shows up? As simple a file as shows the problem would be best.

thanks,

-Pascal

In addition to the simple example 3dm Pascal asked for, can you tell us what version of OSX and Rhino for Mac you’re on?

Thanks for jumping in to help. Here is a file it has been happening to. I am currently running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 and Rhino 5.2.4.AmyAlvarez.3dm (1021.9 KB)

Hi Jason - do you see this on opening the file or after some time with the file open? So far your file looks OK here…

-Pascal

Only after first opening the file. And it doesn’t happen all the time. But each time it happens I have to go back and change all the text to a different font in order to fix it. The text is correct in field box, but not on the layout space. Closing and reopening doesn’t repair it. Of course, as soon as I need it to fail it would work fine. When I see it again I will post it to the board.

I am having the same problem.

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Rhino 5

Any resolution for this issue? I have been having the same problem. It has occurred on two separate computers with multiple files and multiple fonts.

Rhino is only reading the specified font file to draw the characters on the screen. Rhino is not modifying the file. Some other unknown process must be changing the font file itself.
The fix will be to find a replacement for the specific font file that has not been damaged.
I have no idea how to determine what is actually damaging the font files themselves.
As such, I don’t see how a “resolution” could come from Rhino.

Thanks for the reply @John_Brock. I understand that Rhino is reading the font file. The strange thing is that I have only noticed this issue in Rhino, not in any other application. The issue has occurred with both default fonts and user installed fonts on different hardware. If I try to print or save as pdf from Rhino there are still missing letter. If you can think of any way to troubleshoot this it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

FYI, here’s my system info:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.3.2 (5D197)
IronPython version: not installed
Language: en-US (MacOS default)
macOS version: Version 10.13.2 (Build 17C88)

Plug-ins
/Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework/Versions/A/3DconnexionClient
/usr/lib/closure/libclosured.dylib

Third party kernel extensions
com.3dconnexion.driver (10.5.0) 23F2462E-B272-3BBC-A8DC-BEE242EE3FA7

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac18,3
Processor: Intel Core i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: Radeon Pro 570 4 GB
Memory: 4 GB
Screen size: 2560 x 1440
Displays: iMac (217dpi 2x)

USB devices
Broadcom Corp.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Logitech: USB Receiver
3Dconnexion: SpaceNavigator

Bluetooth devices
Broadcom: Magic Keyboard

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.60.24
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: Yes

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 0x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

I had a file that was doing that as well. It printed out okay so I didn’t really worry about it.

I believe it is a video card issue. I don’t have a problem on my Mac until I plug into a GPU on Mojave. Then the text disapears.

Still ongoing, I would love to find a fix.

Often, but not always, problems like this can happen because of corrupted fonts. To eliminate that possibility, use a Mac utility to check your fonts. See this guide.

Everyone in our office has this issue occasionally. Sometimes restarting Rhino fixes the issue, sometimes restarting the computer fixes the issue. Sometimes we’ll have to change the font to get all characters to render. We’re all on Mac, running Rhino5 on a variety of ages of Macbooks and iMacs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Did you use the guide that @marlin linked to?