Zoom on Bad Parts of a Mesh possible?

Hi Everyone,

I’ve got a semi-complex polysurface made of 270 surfaces that’s causing me problems with meshing. Object description tells me, it’s a valid closed solid polysurface.
While tesselating that polysurface for SLS-output, Rhino is generating a bad mesh.
Settings: Density: 1.0 / Max. angle: 3.0 / Max. distance edge to surface: 0.01 / Min. inital quads: 500
Afterwards, mesh analysis gives the following feedback:

Here is what is wrong with this mesh:
Mesh has 41 degenerate faces.
Mesh has 258 non manifold edges.
Mesh has 103 duplicate faces.
Skipping face direction check because of positive non manifold edge count.
Mesh has 374369 pairs of faces that intersect each other. This can cause problems if you’re doing mesh boolean operations with it.

I tried changing the meshing settings with no succcess. Mesh repair wizard isn’t able to repair the mesh either. Checking the mesh visually, everything looks good, so I’m quite lost on solving that problem.
The number of 374369 pairs of faces that intersect each other made me wonder if the whole thing is duplicate and has a complete set of surfaces that overlap exactly, but that’s not the case. The mesh only has 290368 vertices, 292965 faces overall, by the way. [edit: this special problem dissapears with certain meshing settings. The others stay, with changing numbers]

I wonder, is there any command that can give me feedback which parts of the mesh are bad (degenerate/duplicate…) and zoom onto them? With that help I could try rebuilding the original NURBS surfaces. Rebuilding 270 surfaces with a try-and-error approach is just not an option.

Has anyone had a similar problem before? Any suggestions are appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks in advance,
Stefan

Hi Stefan - can you post the file or send to tech@mcneel.com, to my (Pascal) attention?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, just sent you an email as suggested.

Hi Stefan - I get self intersections warnings and I am looking into that but with these settings:

I get an OK mesh I think- it does ring up as bad due to self intersections, but it might print. I do not get the other errors your OP shows.

All that said, the object has edges and vertices that are out of tolerance -
If you Explode and then RebuildEdges, you’ll see it does not all join up again cleanly. I suspect for the moment at least that may be at the root of the meshing issues.

What command:

• Edge Tolerances: 0.000 to 0.037*
  • median = 0.000 average = 0.000*
  • Vertex Tolerances: 0.000 to 0.021*
  • median = 0.000 average = 0.000*

-Pascal