Bad Object

So before exporting to stl I’m running Mesh Repair diagnostic tool and I get Bad Object because it found 3 degenerate faces. For some reason rhino can’t fix it when I’m trying to repair it. So now how should I go about fixing it manually. Is there any tool I can use to find out which 3 faces are bad…? Since there are no naked or nonmanifold edges can this part be considered fit for 3d printing…? Btw, the originating NURBS part doesn’t have any bad issues.

Darius

Hello - please send us the part if you don’t sort it out, but CullDegenerateMeshFaces may help. That may leave some naked edges but at least you can locate those and repair the area…

-Pascal

Thanks Pascal, yes Cull command that’s the one I completely forgot about… It fixed the issue right on. Interestingly Rhino 5 Repair kit was able to fix it without using Cull command.

Btw. I’ve noticed now when there is a pair of mesh faces that intersect each other Mesh Repair tool qualify it as a bad object. Is it something that changed recently because I don’t recall seeing it before. This type of issue in V5 and early V6 would not returned bad object diagnostic. Bit confusing when prepping meshes for 3d printing as I have no idea what to do about intersecting faces…?

Darius

Right - this is a serious deficiency in the work flow - this should be addressed in V7 at least to the extent that you’ll be able to locate self intersections.

(It is not always clear to me that the report about self intersecting meshes is correct, by the way, it seems like with very narrow faces sometimes you can get a false positive, but I do not have an example of that)

-Pascal

Good to know. Thank Pascal.