Worksession: Rhino out of memory, when file is attached in work session

@pascal
I made all views wireframe worked,
ClearAllMeshes cleared 10442 objects.

I was trying to save(10 mins+) now.
If it succeeds, I will try attaching it too(was not able to save).

Alright, I will post the result of SystemInfo, when its done saving.

This is the result of the SystemInfo command:

Rhino 6 SR25 2020-4-23 (Rhino 6, 6.25.20114.05271, Git hash:master @ f35d7ded15ec317635ced435d8df84327397038d)
License type: Commercial-, build 2020-04-23
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: KENNEDY-GERALDO

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-5-2020 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 4-7-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 442.92

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-7-2020
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4292
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.25.20114.5271
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.25.20114.5271
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.25.20114.5271
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.25.20114.5271
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\SectionTools (fbdb1d7f-8cfb-42c1-9858-87cb6315932c)\2019.7.29.584\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

I was taking too long to load.
This is what it was doing to my computer.

This is what happened when it was trying to save for more than 20mins.
I had to force Shutdown my computer to post this.

Hello - I would try disabling Vray, close and reopen Rhino and then attach the files (all wrireframe again for now) Does that work any better, or differently?

-Pascal

@pascal
No please, same result!

All three files attach successfully, but as soon as the structure file is attached,
Rhino runs out of Memory.

@pascal
Any new ideas?

Hello - no, I do not - if the large file opens and behaves OK on its own, and not in a Worksession, then I guess we should get the file if we can - we’d want the smallext version that causes the problem- please include a link to this topic. Please SaveSmall, Zip and upload to www.rhino3d.com/upload to my attention.

-Pascal

@pascal
Just uploaded the file. I hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks, Pascal & McNeel.

The problem is, this file is from SketchUp and it is a nightmare of nested blocks. Is there any way to save from sketchup as a flattened mesh file?

-Pascal

Hello,
@pascal
I did a lot of work, with the files.
It would take too much time, to go back and rework, everything.
That’s like saving,I should start the entire part of this project.
Could I take the file, back to Sketchup, explode it and import as a mesh into Rhino?

Would that help?

Please work on Rhino/Sketchup compatibility

@pascal
Hello,
Anytime, I try to export to Sketchup.
Rhino runs out of memory.

@pascal
Exporting as Fbx file format, exports a sketchup file as a mesh.

@pascal
I tried to run, Reducemesh count in Rhino.
But It run out of Memory too.

Importing SKP files into Rhino can be very complicated. When importing your SketchUp file, are you choosing meshes or polysurfaces? I would highly recommend you to stick to meshes, choosing polysurfaces will create a huge file if your model is complicated.

Also, why are you importing your structure file into Rhino, just as a reference or to continue developing it. If it’s just a reference you could “flatten” your file to eliminate those nested groups, but if your plan is to keep working on it forget about that as it won’t let you edit efficiently your model.

Hello,
@jespizua @pascal
Yeah, I realized that, Importing the Sketchup file(18Mb), into Rhino as trimmed surfaces, make it 4.6Gb.
So I used the mesh export option instead.

I have already worked on it. It just need it for referencing, generating views and renders.
I am not going to edit it.
How do I ‘flatten’ it? (The work is already in Rhino now)

I just tried ReduceMeshCount and the Rhino file(structure file) jumped from 1.4Gb to 4.4Gb.

Hi @kennedygeraldo1
Now that you have it as meshes, is your file workable? can you zoom, pan and navigate your model with ease? If that’s the case I don’t recommend you to flatten it, as you will lose all your blocks and it will make things harder when applying materials. If on the contrary, you still have difficulties navigating your model you could try _ExplodeBlock to explode all nested blocks inside a block. Do it on a duplicated file just in case something goes wrong.

Hello - the problem is, there are hundreds of thousands of objects in an SKP file like this - if you can export as obj or something from skp as a single mesh, or a relatively few meshes, without any curves, the performance problems will almost certainly go away. Now, others may arise - you won’t have control over textures and materials etc etc. no doubt there is a middle ground possible, but for your purposes, my guess is it would be just fine.

-Pascal

@jespizua
Navigating is still a problem.
I will try _ExplodeBlock, to explode nested blocks in a duplicate file.

Thanks.

@pascal
I would try your idea too and compare the results.
Thanks.

@pascal
@jespizua

Hi,
When I try to explode blocks, rhino runs out of memory.
All files can attach at this point. But the file is nowhere from workable, even in wireframe mode.
Even after ClearAllMeshes command. Workability is terrible.

Navigating the model is too slow.

Thanks.

Hello - please try other export options in Sketchup, or see if there is some way to flatten the model and export as a plain mesh.

-Pascal

@pascal
@jespizua

I can’t seem to get the file out of rhino into SketchUp.
I have tried dxf and skp, but they take forever.

Hello - didn’t the file come from Sketchup to being with, or am I wrong about that? I’m suggesting that you find a better way starting from the sketchup file in Sketchup.

-Pascal