Worksession file stalls when rotating view and Rhino has to be killed from task manager

Hi,
Ran into a show stopper on this worksession latest sr. I have three files attached as a worksession.
After a few zooms, rotations or pans in the perspective window mainly with rendered view, Rhino stalls and becomes unresponsive and I have to shut down via taskmanager. I’ve opened and closed rhino a number of times and get this consistently. I’ve had no problems earlier with this worksession in v7 but that would be a few srs back.
I can’t send the files here as they’re too big. I can upload them along with the .ws file.
Just wondering if anything is on the radar with worksessions?
RM

One thing you could do, is when Rhino is stalled out, start the Windows Task Manager, right click on Rhino 7, and use the option to create a dump file.
The file will likely be big.
ZIP it up and send it to us using the File upload tool on the Support page.
Please include the URL from this Discourse topic in the Comments

I’ll ask a developer to look at the dump file and see where Rhino is hanging up. That should suggest a fix or work-around.

Thanks

@3dsynergy - does the same file, just opened normally, behave correctly?

-Pascal

Hi @pascal

Yes they do.
RM

Hi @John_Brock

That’s wild didn’t know one could do that.
So I opened this worksession again after waiting a few hours and all was fine. Before I couldn’t even rotate the view. I created a clipping plane and did a few renderings even.

But then I did a rotate in perspective view and rhino stalled again necessitating shutting down via task manger. I did create the dump file I think it’s 4.9 gig I’ll upload it shortly as per your instructions.
Thanks for taking a look,
RM

Hi @John_Brock
I’ve been trying for hours to upload this file. This the second day trying to upload.
I’d like to request some sort of timer or status bar on the upload page since your website makes no indication of how much was uploaded I have no idea if you are even getting this file outside of the spinning wheel on my browser.
RM

I see the failed uploads in the log.
Do you have another file sharing tool like Google Drive or Drop Box you like?
Perhaps stage the upload that way and send is a link?

Hi @John_Brock,
Thanks can you see if I am uploading now I’m still trying if it’s uploading still I’ll hang on but if it’s just erroring I need to terminate.

Also I found in this worksession file I can run Rhino in wireframe default view mode and the ws doesn’t stall on rotate but if I change to shaded or rendered view Rhino stalls and has to be terminated from the taskmanager.
Thanks for your fast help,
RM

Maybe that second smaller file is all we need.
See if you can generate a smaller dump file when it freezes.
The longer the session, but bigger the dump file.

Ok will do I’m also trying with disabled plugins.
RM

If it doesn’t stall with no 3rd-party plug-ins, you may have the cause cornered.

Hi @John_Brock,
I tried to disable 3rd party plugins and updated my drivers.
Still same error rotation in any display mode other than wireframe causes Rhino to stall in this worksession. The individual files seem to work ok they don’t stall when I rotate perspective view.
RM

Hi, @bobmcneel,
Dear Mcneel worksessions are unusable for me seriously crippling my ability to work on this complex model.
Please help there must be something wrong with worksessions I’ve updated my drivers and ran without 3rd party plugins. I still keep getting this stalling error as well worksession have always worked for me in the past. You need to look into this and not sweep it under the rug this is a serious bug for me.
RM

Hi RM - please post the results from the Rhino SystemInfo command. There iwas a slowdown in some cases in 7.10 that was better in 7.9 and is fixed again in 7.11. If you are running 7.10, I’ll point you to a 7.11 installer and we can see if that sorts anything out.

-Pascal

Hi @pascal
Rhino 7 SR10 2021-9-13 (Rhino 7, 7.10.21256.17001,

Windows 10.0.19043 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [93% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 8-20-2021 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 9-13-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 472.12
> Integrated accelerated graphics device (shares primary device ports)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-13-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.14.7212
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
E:\rhino3d\BoltGen\BoltGen1_62.rhp “BoltGen” 0.0.0.0
E:\Downloads\elefront411\ElefrontProperties.rhp “ElefrontProperties” 1.0.0.0
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.2 (e24ee14a-9514-47da-8fe6-f6e61b20160e)\Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.rhp “Twinmotion Direct Link 2020” 1.0.6.0
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.0\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc”
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\PanelingTools\2020.9.1.565\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SectionTools\2020.12.7.446\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hello - did you try the 7.11 link I sent?

-Pascal

Downloading now thanks for your help.
RM

Hi @pascal, @John_Brock,

This is wonderful the old darlings back!
This so far is the best sr though I haven’t tried the pdf printing.
No crashes, no stalls selecting, no stalls rotating in the viewports, cycles runs like a top, viewport extremely responsive in my display modes, no server busy errors and all that while in a worksession with two instances of Rhino running with large files, one a worksession with four large files attached.
Thank you Pascal, John and programmers at Mcneel!
RM

1 Like