Workflow for separately mapping two textures within a polysurface

Hi all,

I have a polysurface here representing a piece of birch plywood. I have applied texture A to the wood “face” surface, and texture B to the wood “edge” surface. I’d like to define the mapping for texture A and texture B differently. I am able to do this by ctrl + shift + selecting the surface, and using a command like ApplyBoxMapping, or ApplyCylinderMapping. Making later changes to the mapping is not working for me.

It seems after an initial mapping when using these Mapping commands, I am only able to select the polysurface, not individual surfaces.

I tried using MappingWidget, but mapping changes affect the entire polysurface.

I am curious how other people go about mapping textures separately. I stayed up very late trying to figure this out and am giving it another go now, without much luck.

Thank you Rhino community,

Noah

1 Like

Hi @nglynn ,

If both surfaces in the polysrf are assigned the same material, you can edit the UV mesh for each separately in the UVEditor as shown in that older video tutorial above. If however, the two surfaces in the polysrf need different materials applied to them, you’d need to ExtractSrf one of them to control the UVs separately. It is possible to sub-object select a srf in a polysrf and assign a separate material with the right click menu over a material swatch so that you don’t have to extract or explode but you can’t currently control sub-object UVs. This is a known issue and filed… fingers crossed for sub-object mapping control in v8. For now, think separate objects = separate material = separate UVs.

I hope that helps, here’s a newer video I made on UV mapping too if you like…

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing these videos, they are extremely helpful. One thing that bothers me is that UVEditor doesn’t highlight faces of Polysurfaces when that are selected. It highlights render meshes in the 3d space when you select them in the uv editor, but not the other way around. It would be really helpful if you could tell which island belongs to which 3d face when it’s selected in the 3d edior, because in more complicated polysurfaces it may get really cumbersome to find them. Without this visual feedback I found splitting polysurfaces into separate faces and applying planar mapping simpler to use (for hard surface models).

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve been meaning to wishify this so many times (but probably never did :grimacing:). This would make complex UV editing a lot easier!
-Jakob

1 Like

Filed as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-71934 Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like