Wishes for V7 - Sub-D

And now I am pretty sure they are convinced we are working under cover to heartify the sub-d business… Next time we dual post we must make sure we don’t accidentally use the EXACT same object… :smiley:

That hiding feature looks awsome though!

And another wish:
Ability to simply add a new face to one, two, three or four naked edges.
that is automatically joined to the subd. I need this in mesh modelling to, so I made a tool for that, where I can snap to the vertices I want and then draw in freespace the others if I want to.

In my other videos this week I used different stuff. I Then made same object as you for the hiding faces so they get less confused and overwhelmed.

Yeah that’s a very basic and very needed tool. In Modo that’s done by just hitting the P key in your keyboard. Of course you also need a workflow to first quickly select naked/boundary/hole edges. Also requested this week.

G

Isn’t that Fill with the SingleFace option, or am I missing the point?
-Jakob

append face should do this…

Well, wadda ya know… it does!
Neither the icon nor the name “append” made sense to me when I tired the different icons :slight_smile: And I expected it to find it next to “extract surface” as a “add face” or “add subsurface” command.

Can you consider changing the location and the name?

Also I expect to be able to select edges, not only points.

I will use it and test it and let you know how it goes!

I also want to be able to just run the command and select an edge and not have to select the object first :slight_smile:

AND I see that it swaps to wireframe…

Fill SubD hole

Can this please have automatic edge hole detection?
Now we have to select every edge of the hole.

or drag a selection.

1 Like

welll… append means add…

so append face would be “add face”…

1 Like

Yup. https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-58193

3 Likes

The extra NURBS control points are required to get an exact fit or very close approximations near “exceptional areas” (boundaries, interior vertices with something besides 4 edges and faces, and faces that are not quads, …) you get 4x4 beziers.

We will add more options to ToNurbs so you can choose between getting an accurate conversion or getting fewer control points.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-58194

4 Likes

I had to look it up and apparently it means add to the end of a dokument or similar.
So now I see why it make sense to use it in programming for adding items to lists :slight_smile:
But for us non native speakers I think Add would be easier to remember and understand.

I think Append makes sense for now, given how painful the whole workflow is…

3 Likes

“ToNurbs” is THE area were Rhino7 SubDs really are still way behind what TSplines offered in times of Rhino5.
I don’t know about others, but for my workflow a conversation of SubDs to Nurbs that makes every SubD polygon a Nurbs patch is close to useless.
TSplines created a minimum amount of patches (depending on starpoints, N-gons and the general topology) and even gave the oppurtunity to define the patch layout by selecting TSplines edges as seams.
Don’t get me wrong, this is not a rant.
The work on SubDs in WIP7 is really promising and in some areas allready class leading (Quadremesh anybody?).
There is (imho) just this one piece missing to close the circle of the SubD-Nurbs workflow.

6 Likes

Hi guys, here is another wish:

The divide edge tool is great! But the corners could benefit from better handling.

I rebuilt the lower corner and it just smooths nicer along being a true 4 edge corner.

I have not tried it with 3 segments though, only 1 and 2.

You mean Bevel right? I can file a request for quad dominant solutions at multiple edge intersections. I suspect the segment count will play into what’s possible too.

3 Likes

Thanks, yes that’s what I meant!
I looked at the wrong tool to find it’s name, good thing you auto error correct me :smiley:

Filed as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-58745 with a video of the process I used for 2 segment bevels.

1 Like

I think for such topology Bevel is not needed, takes more time.

I also hope to repair these required functions as soon as possible

Not 100% sure I understand the request but does Inset work for you?

bevel or crease?

| don’t know what is …