Wish V6: Better Layout Management

Hi McNeel

Since working on a larger project with Rhino I miss some functionality regarding layout management. The following list goes from simple wishes to more complex wishes that would help with managing layouts:

1. Ordering of the layout tabs via drag & drop instead of the clumsy Move & Copy window (has been wished in other threads as well)

2. A layout manager. When working with many layouts (20+, depending on resolution) the tab approach becomes unusable. There exists a basic layout manager (http://www.food4rhino.com/project/layout-manager), but it has several bugs that make it almost useless. This has also been wished before. Sorry for repeating.

3. A sheet Set Manager as found in AutoCAD (I know this is asking for a lot and does not really fit in the Rhino way of doing things) or some similar interface that would allow easier management of the layouts content. (Edit) Sheet sets would be groups of layouts. For the sheet set two main features come to my mind: 1. variables. e.g. text variables placed on the layouts that can be managed through one window. The variables should be freely assignable key, value pairs. 2. layout templates that can be setup with the necessary variables and loaded through the Layout Manager. Currently we do this through nested blocks in referenced files, but the setup is very error prone with new people not used to the setup.

Edit:
4. A batch print function, where I could select a sheet set and print all the layouts in this sheet set at once.

Thanks

5 Likes

I had been thinking about this, and wishing some of the same things. Something like this would be very handy for working with a bunch of sheets. It would also be nice if there were some way to search through the details and sheets (for instance I forgot what sheet detail 18 was on), some way to find the last / highest numbered detail / sheet, find any conflicts (I have two detail 18s).

Thanks,
Sam

11 Likes

Oh, it would also be very nice to be able to use this information. For instance, in most of our drawing packages, sheet #00 is a table of drawings, which shows the sheet name, contents, and scale. It would be cool if this layout manager could be used to create and maintain that list.

Iā€™m two posts into the Serengeti board and already feature creeping away :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sam

Have you heard back on any of this? Your thoughts on layouts are good and I would also like see features like this.

It may be an old post but its still relevant

Yeah, this is definitely still relevant, IMO :slight_smile:. It is something that would be very nice get in V6.

And maybe a further wish:
A way to control the graphics of the plot/print, similar to plotstyles in ACAD. So that curves for 2D plans are shown the same way, e.g. width controlled by the colours of the layers. A possibility to load a .ctb file like this one
IBB.rar (3.3 KB) . To be able to create a template for the print width and colours. This is very useful when making graphics for architectural plans. To make the output look the same every time, when printing to paper.

Or maybe it is already possible to do this in rhino ?

Thanks,
Thomas

1 Like

Hi Sam - thanks,

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-38644

-Pascal

That would be very nice to have.
Maintaining a drawing-list by hand can be a real pain in the backside.

Hi,
This is not the most recent thread about layout but it is the more relevant. Still today.
Or I missed something and please wake me up !
I had to do something so I wrote an utility with Eto in Python.
It is far from the mockup done by SamPage. Which is really nice and exhaustive by the way.
Hope someone could find it as useful as I do ;).
If somebody could find a way to drag instead of using mouse wheel, feel free to share !
(I was able with Windows.Forms but not yet with Eto.)

Regards.

layout_form.py (3.6 KB)

5 Likes

Look very nice Lahos. Thank you!

As an architect, if I can give my two centsā€¦ Iā€™d love a BIM like layout managerā€¦ complex projects tend to ā€œlitterā€ the 3D workspace with 2D drawings, and as the architectural project grows, itā€™s useful to have a tree structured layout manager, where the 2D artifacts could be drawn. I am not sure how that could be done from the current system. But it would be good to have something that any curves and artifacts could be deemed ā€œPaperspaceā€ artifacts and add to the views a ā€œshow paperspace artifactsā€, on top of show curves ( sometimes we want to use curves on 3D space for 3D drawings and annotationsā€¦ but not have a ton of separate drawings ā€œall over the drawing floorā€ ). Maybe similar to how SketchUp does it, but integrated on the main interface.

Thatā€™s one of the strongest things sending me to Archicad right now, how it organizes the documentation structure, even tho I strong favor Rhino as a tool.

5 Likes

A nesteable, order-able list of all the Layouts in a file would be really useful!

IMH a lot of Rhino layout problems could be fixed if Layout (Paperspace) Layers could be decoupled from Model Layers- the way it works in traditional Architectural CAD. I think further organisation can all be managed through nesting layers (if I understand what you are saying).

When working in 2D, Architects usually rely on densely layered drawings - for example floor plans, ceiling and roof plans, all drawn in the same 'model space. We rely on being able to turn selected layers off when it comes to producing drawings in Layout. While Rhino has the ability to turn some layers off from Detail Viewports, there are a number of tweaks required.

New Layers added to a project Default to being switched on in all viewports (imagine a Roof plan showing up in all 20 pages of floor plans). Projects are dynamic, new layers can be added all the time! Furthermore, when a layer is switched off in model space, it is turned off in ALL Detail views irregardless of settings.

The below script tried to fix these problems and shows how much is possiable with the features currently implemented in Rhino 6.

When I teach Rhino in architecture schools, itā€™s a shame I canā€™t promote using it for real documentation, when itā€™s drafting tools are superior to Dinosaur programs like AutoCAD but Layout is missing a few small, but vital workflow improvements.

Exactly. My wish would be that when working in model space the layer panel gets a second row of on/off lightbulbs, one being the master switch for everywhere (also layouts), the other only for model space viewports. I posted this idea here, (however, it got no tracktion there):

1 Like

I must be totally dumb :slight_smile: could someone explain to me how does this plugin work??