Wish: Mirror CPlane

Is there a way to mirror a CPlane along the X-axis, Y-axis, Z-axis or use a Mirror 3pt? I can’t find such an option. :slight_smile:

I doubt this is possible, the Cplane axis order is always the same. If you would mirror, one of the axis would be inverted. I think the only option here is to rotate the plane instead. Maybe if you explain how you would use it, you can achieve the same with different tools?
For example I often use the following macro to flip the plane:
_Cplane _Rotate X 180

That’s correct, the CPlane axis order will have to be different if using a “CPlane mirror” command (swapping XY to YX to keep Z mirrored). My request was to mirror the CPlane in a similar fashion like mirroring a flat surface. Here is the Gumball in “Align to object” mode. I made two screenshots and combined them together to show how the Gumball’s axes appear on the mirrored planes. Something similar should be done when mirroring a CPlane, too. :slight_smile:

Hi Bobi - you can’t have the one on the left… that one breaks the rules , if I am reading it right.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, is not it possible to make a “hack” for this command to work, like a series of automated macros in the following steps:

1. Press the “Mirror CPlane” icon (lets imagine that it exists);
  2. Create a plane with some size (lets say 20x20 mm) on the XY coordinate and starting from the center of the current CPlane;
  3. Make a mirrored plane along the Y-axis (this is the most used mirroring plane for designing cars, boats etc) or ask for a manually set mirror axis or 3 point plane;
  4. Set a new CPlane on the newly created mirrored 20x20 mm plane.

This is how I do it manually to have a mirrored CPlane, though it takes some time do execute all the commands mentioned above. :slight_smile:

I just meant that you cannot have a CPlane that is oriented this way, or am I reading the image wrong? :

-Pascal

The original plane was on the right side of my screen-shot, and then I made a mirrored copy on the left side along the World Y-axis. :slight_smile: Here is a video showing how I created both planes and inclined them to make it more obvious how the “Mirror CPlane” should work (mirroring the Z-axis, while the X-axis and Y-axis get swapped to maintain the orientation of all 3 axes).

Mirror CPlane.3dm (30.2 KB)

in that case this could do it: example: mirror around YZ plane:

import Rhino

mplane = Rhino.Geometry.Plane.WorldYZ

currentplane = Rhino.RhinoDoc.ActiveDoc.Views.ActiveView.ActiveViewport.ConstructionPlane()
transform = Rhino.Geometry.Transform.Mirror(mplane)

currentplane.Transform(transform)
Rhino.RhinoDoc.ActiveDoc.Views.ActiveView.ActiveViewport.SetConstructionPlane(currentplane)

Right, you just can not ever get the mirrored +Z as in the OP’s image…

-Pascal

Lets say that the right plane is where the custom CPlane is located. To make a mirror copy of that CPlane along the World Y-axis, the CPlane must be temporarily reset to the default world CPlane, then it’s Y-axis is used to make a mirrored copy of the previous CPlane (the custom one). I’m not a programmer, but this is how I image it could work. :slight_smile:

Can you explain how to test this script? :space_invader:

this one is a bit better:

to test, open Python editor and past in that script, then run (EditPythonScript)

import Rhino
import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
import scriptcontext as sc

mplane = Rhino.Geometry.Plane.WorldYZ

currentplane = Rhino.RhinoDoc.ActiveDoc.Views.ActiveView.ActiveViewport.ConstructionPlane()

transform = Rhino.Geometry.Transform.Mirror(mplane)

currentplane.Transform(transform)
Rhino.RhinoDoc.ActiveDoc.Views.ActiveView.ActiveViewport.SetConstructionPlane(currentplane)

sc.doc.Views.Redraw()

1 Like

This one works great. Very close to what I was looking for. :slight_smile: I saved it like “Mirror CPlane.py” and added it as a RMB click to the “Set CPlane by 3 points” icon.
I think that “McNeel” should seriously consider to add this functionality in future Rhino 7 releases by default.

Mirror CPlane.py (418 Bytes)

1 Like

The problem is, you cannot mirror a CPlane, you can only mirror a CPlane position. I am not too keen on the idea of a Rhino command that does not quite do it…

-Pascal

Yes, exactly for that reason I mentioned that since the position of the XYZ axes relative to each other is fixed, a mirrored CPlane should have one or two of its axes oriented in a different direction. In the example from my screen-shot above, XY becomes YX to keep the orientation of the axes as they should be. :slight_smile:
That’s also true in @Gijs ’ script where the X-axis and Y-axis are preserved, but the Z-axis is flipped. That’s perfectly fine, because the important thing is to mirror the XY plane of the CPlane relative to the World plane.