Wish: Hexagonal array

Hi. I’m aware that Grasshopper probably could handle such cases, but is there a chance for basic Rhino users (aka non-gurus in GH) to array an object in a hexagonal pattern or a rectangular pattern whose copies are arranged like the ones pictured below? The black shape at the lower left corner is the original, and the copies are coloured in unique colours to give you a better idea of how this would work eventually.

PS: Or, maybe “Zig-zag array” is a more appropriate name? :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Bobi

1 Like

It might be easier to array a single column of your shapes, then copy the column over and shifted up by your dimensions, then do a second array of the two columns as a row to the right.

This is how I did it, making a copy of the original, then manual dragging and then created the rest copies. Not a big deal, just thought that such array could help users who build such patterns where the basic rectangular array can’t do the desired result.

A single rectangular array of the first black and red should do the trick. Same as a brick bond pattern

2 Likes

As dharman wrote above my post, it’s very simple task by using rectangular array. You need to find the repetitive elements and the pattern of distribution.

Yes @dharman gets my vote for :white_check_mark: solved on this one : it is probably easier than working out the dimensions for the hexagonal grid and it has the advantage of being generically applicable to other ‘wallpaper pattern’ type layouts.
For bonus marks make them block instances so you only have to edit one, not both of them each time.

I’m not sure that the rectangular array could bring the same results, especially that the proposed hexagonal array (or Zig-zag array) allows for independent offset along X and Y. For this example I used exactly the same black and red hexagons.

I think they try to say the pattern like this…

I can’t achieve the same result by using a single hexagon (or any other shape) with the “Parallel array” tool. It only allows to array the shape in a parallel way, as the name suggests. In my original post I had to create that pattern manually.

Why aren’t you using Grasshopper?

This is how I started my original post, actually. :slight_smile: Being able to do such array with couple of mouse clicks with a standard Rhino tool (just like the “Rectangular array” one), without the need to learn and run Grasshopper.

in your particular case there isn’t much to learn also when you get into Grasshopper the sky is the limit :wink:

Also you can reuse whatever algorithm you create in GH with different types of polygons.

Another tool you can use is Paneling tools.

1 Like

1 Like

Thank you for the tip! I will try to learn how this works.
It will be really nice if it was possible to expand Rhino’s “Rectangular array” functions with an offset setting in along X and Y, like I mentioned in the OP. :slight_smile:

п.п.: Честит 3-ти март! :slight_smile:

Честит Празник братле! :slight_smile: :bulgaria:

2 Likes

That should not be that difficult. If you just think about that. What is array? it’s copy command done n number of times in X, Y and probably Z direction

1 Like

Благодаря! :slight_smile:

Wow, I better watch some video tutorials to figure out what those grey “hubs” are for. :slight_smile:

1 Like