Wish: Control points grouping

Soo…@pascal, @Trav,

What I mean is control grouping of control points on surfaces, not just curves.

-Pascal

1 Like

I guess it will stay as a WISH :slight_smile:

I’ll see how far i can get with that. It might be very doable.

1 Like

Just making sure my inquiry is clear: I simply want to select some control points and group them with the group command. Move to the next set of points, group, etc. I don’t need naming all of the time.

Application:
Symmetrical modeling on a complex surface (nurbs or subd or mesh, doesn’t matter), we can view from the side and select matching points, group them then easily run any kind of transforms that affect both sides of the entity evenly.

Named selections are great when you need to have things named and easily recalled from a list, but sometimes we just need to click on something and have it’s partner be selected as well.

These groups could show up on the named selections window, or not. Maybe there is an option tick for that.

@carvecream currently i do not see mixing groups and named selections. At least not for 7.0. However I may get surface points and edit points working within named selections on the short list. We ultimately need the grip structure to store more data before we can reliably recall them and that task believe it or not is very large.

1 Like

Yep, same here. No need of them to be named. Just grouped so that you don’t have to “window-select” every time you want to relocate coinciding control points of one or multiple surfaces (curves).

@Trav, if possible, please also expose this group’s class to .net, I should be able to modify my control-point-related python scripts to use both control points and groups of control points in a similar manner.