Wish: Connect edges for SubD in Rhino 7?

Hi, is there a way to connect the selected edges on a SubD model if they share the same starting point? 3ds max has a tool called “Connect” that does exactly that (including some very handy options such like number of segments), but so far I can’t find a similar tool on Rhino 7.
It seems like I can only add loops along edges that are separated from each other. Rhino 7 will not let me create a loop between the edges that you see in the attached image, most likely because they share the same starting point. Both, “Insert SubD edge loop” and “Insert SubD edge ring” do weird results on this kind of edge arrangement.

I figured out that I can manually split faces via the “Insert Point to Mesh or SubD” tool, but it’s slow and does not have a control over the location along the edges (other than the “Mid” Osnap).

1 Like

insert edges will do that if you pick the edge going in the other direction (parallel to your new edges)

you can use osnap for mid snap-

no options for multiples (except both sides) atm…

the smooth result won’t look like what you have shown, as the edges will create new faces that will affect the radial edges, in box mode you get the result you are showing.

Unfortunately, “Inset edges” results into totally different shapes by adding offset curves all around faces, rather than adding new connecting edges along selected edges. Also, “Inset edges” is non-interactive and demands using a set distance. The offset can’t be controlled by the mouse itself. This is very limiting in my opinion. Example:

Input:

Output:

As I mentioned above, 3ds Max and basically every major mesh modeling program has “Connect edges” command that lets you choose two or more edges and then connect them with newly added intersecting edges. These programs also benefit from making the “Connect edges” command fully interactive, meaning that the output connecting edges could be placed freely either by the mouse directly in the viewport (exactly like what the “Extract isocurve” command does on NURBS surfaces), or by a numerical input. Example:

Input:

Output:

it may be a simple case of different input…

if I click these exterior edges, I get the option to insert edges here-

Also the insert point command allows you to place an edge anywhere you want- (InsertPoint)

my apologies if I’m still missing your request-

My latest Rhino 7 does not let me add offset edges like those shown on your image. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

By the way, I created my 3rd and 4th images above with the “Insert point” command, but it will not let me set proportional distances between the input edges. Instead, it’s fully freeform and can’t be forced to follow parameters (which is a good thing, but for different purposes).

Here is what the “Inset edges” command lets me do. It always requires me to select input faces (not edges) and always adds offset curves along the whole border of the selected faces. Even if I preselect edges, it immediately deselects them and still asks me to select faces instead.

use an edge (or edges) as input and it’ll allow you to drag an edge (or edges) where you want it (them)

make sure you are using inSET, not inSERT. …two different commands.

My Rhino 7 seems to be quite different than yours, wow. :smiley: :upside_down_face: It does its own things and will not let me pick input edges. Instead, it always insists to use faces and ngons.

You are using INSET

not INSERT

two different commands, that do two different things.

2 Likes

Now I see the difference! I was mistaken by the fact that the command you had in mind is actually called “Insert SubD edge loop” in Rhino 7. :sweat_smile: The “EDGE LOOP” part was what took my attention, and it does what the edge loop in 3ds max does. Its icon is also showing a loop.

However, there is no proper “Connect edges” command in SubD. Let me explain again. There must be a tool that lets you select two or more SubD edges and build one or more connecting edges in-between. The Command line should allow the following options (marked with yellow are the input edges, marked with white are the output edges):

1. Number of segments (the default value must be 1). Here is an example with a value of 2:

2. “Proportional” or “From end” (switches between 2 different modes; default must be Proportional"):

a) Proportional (the output edges are evenly distributed along the input edges).

b) “From end”.

1. “Flip direction” (changes the starting distance from one end to the opposite end, if the “From end” option is active; it’s recommended to show a tiny arrow to give a visual feedback similar to the ! _Dir command):

2. Local/Global (determines whether the distribution is local /even distance between the output edges everywhere/ or global /even distance between the middle of the output curves but variable along the length of the input edges/):
    a) Local (example with 5 mm distance with local distribution, and “From end” starting from the top).

b) Global (example with 5 mm distance with global distribution, and “From end” starting from the top).

1. Distance from end in units (command prompt “Select point or give amount”). Just like the two examples above. Must be possible to be modified at any time during the operation.

You can check this video after the 2nd minute mark to see how it’s done in 3ds max. However, my proposal is a bit different, because in my opinion it gives a better numerical control over the position of the new segments, unlike 3ds max which is purely based on visual placement of the segments with no proper way to set exact distance between the segments: