Wish: A unified Model Space representation scale

After looking more closely at how Model Space scaling works in Rhino, I think the Model Space workflow could be simplified.

At the moment, if I want to work with a drawing intended for 1:5 representation, I need to keep several settings synchronized manually:

  • Annotation Style → Model space scale = 5
  • Linetypes → Model space scale = 5
  • Hatch → Model space hatch scale = 5

If I change the intended representation to 1:10, all three need to be changed to 10.

This works perfectly once everything is synchronized, and I actually like the amount of individual control Rhino provides. What seems unnecessarily complicated is that the user has to manage this synchronization manually.

Conceptually, my intention is much simpler:

I want to work in Model Space with a 1:5 representation.

Would it make sense to have a single Model Space Representation Scale control, something along the lines shown below?

Annotations, linetypes, hatches, and other scale-dependent properties could follow this representation scale by default, while their existing individual scale controls could remain available as overrides.

This would not change model geometry or replace Detail scales. It would simply define the graphical representation context used while working in Model Space.

The individual controls are useful, but understanding and manually synchronizing them shouldn’t be required for the common case.

Yes, this please… But make it as “per viewport” setting. And then, please, introduce something like View Manager that automatically bundles camera settings, layer combinations, display styles, linetypes, annotation scales etc. into a single click pre-set.

And yes, speaking as architect who moved from ArchiCad to Rhino and missed Saved Model View Options Combinations ever since.

Then add support for something like ArchiCads Worksheets (a separate 2D drafting spaces living alongside 3D model in a single file) and I will never need any more features for ther rest of my architectural life… :wink:

Michal

Thanks Michal! Nice idea — I can see how that could be useful. :slightly_smiling_face:
I’d already be very happy if we could get this unified representation scale first. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
R.