Wish: 2click solid split

Well Mitch what can I say -> thank you very much, it works !

I will send you a pm …

best Andreas

RH-37789 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

I’m a little reluctant to reanimate this old tread, however I find myself going here each time I set up a new computer / Rhino version to dig out the macro Rajaa wrote:

_Wirecut _Line _Pause
_Direction=_CPlaneNormal
BothSides=Yes
_KeepAll=_Yes
_Pause _Pause _Enter

…to put it in the Wirecut command instead of the original one… I find this so super useful and I am pretty sure if the normal user would get to know about this many would love this fast approach…

IMHO this should become a regular command

it would be very helpful if you could allow it to divide parts of the surface with polyline or extend it with a Control Point Curve, i need your help. I have attached a picture to illustrate what I want to do,

SUwork

1 Like

Thank you, I downloaded the plug-in and ran it but I don’t see the working bar anywhere.

Thank you I did it again thank you so much

I tried it and it works as I expected, but the downside is that it doesn’t support perpendicularProcessing: 66.wmv…

What the “perpendicularProcessing”?

1 Like

it doesn’t support capturing perpendicular points when i fixed a line

I have attached a file below, I wonder if there is a script to replace it,
[image]66.rar (1.1 MB)

the script Cannot cut multiple surfaces
This case is similar to the 2 point cuts I need, but the third point should be perpendicular to the screen
2222.3dm (1.1 MB)
Closed circular surface

Please limit your requests to one thread, otherwise it’s confusing and annoying to have to answer them all. Also please have patience, people who contribute here do it mostly on their own time (when they have some) and of their own free will.

Here is a multi-function script that should do what you want (and more).

SplitObjsByView.py (8.0 KB)

It splits any combination of surfaces, polysurfaces and curves by choosing either existing curves in the file or by drawing one or more split lines on screen during the command - second option activated simply by pressing Enter without selecting anything when prompted to select curves for splitting.

Note the curves/lines must completely cut through the object to to work. I am looking into extending drawn lines so they will always cut through, but that is for later.

It splits by either the active viewport’s CPlane direction or directly by the view camera-target vector. For this last to work, a 3D view should be in a parallel projection - it will also work in a perspective view without erroring out (a warning will be put up onscreen), but the results are unpredictable. If you are in any orthographic viewport, the results will be the same using either View or CPlane.

Command line options:

• View or CPlane based splitting
  • Keep solid or not

If the second option is set to Yes, it will try to keep closed solid objects closed when splitting. Open objects will always be open after splitting no matter what the setting. Last-used options are sticky within a session.

Feel free to report any bugs or error conditions - it’s a fairly complex process and I may have missed some checks.

1 Like

The following files are uploaded for testing. It seems that they cannot be cut
333.3dm (665.1 KB)

But the pythonscript for 3 point cut you write can cut it ,so i like 3
point cut script more
so Can be upgraded and optimized

I still like the effect of your three-point cutting. All cutting types are basically successful
You can use the 3-point cutting mode to modify the third point, which may solve the problem

They can - these are frame-type objects that are “closed” in one direction and cannot be split locally at just one spot. This is a Rhino limitation, the normal “Split” command fails also. You need to draw at least two lines to be able to completely split off one piece. I quickly tested a few different combinations and they all worked, if you have a combination of objects plus cutting lines that doesn’t work, please post that.

It is more reasonable for you to use the infinite plane determined by 3 points to cut objects
The logic of cutting objects with infinite planes is also used in Cad, because I often have to cut 45 ° angles

If the closed object cannot be cut, how painful it will be, so we need to use an infinite plane to cut