WIP on Windows 8.0

I still can’t install the WIP on Win 8.0. The installation message says I must upgrade to Win 8.1 first. Will you be supporting Win 8.0?

I just downloaded rhino_en-us_6.0.16320.11371.exe and installed Rhino WIP on a Windows 7 workstation. I can’t start Rhino WIP. “Run as administrator” doesn’t work either. But Windows Task Manager shows me a running Rhino.exe.
Any advice?

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/wip-on-windows-7-service-pack-1/38664/9?u=gary

Any response?

@Gary,

Sorry, no. Is there any reason that prevents you from updating to Windows 8.1?

The WIP runs fine here on 8.0 and the updates install no problem. Why are you prohibiting new installs on 8.0?

–Mitch

This is a question that only @brian can answer.

That’s odd. I tested it on 8.0 and no problem here.
Kelvin is right. This is one for @brian

Requiring Windows 8.1 instead of 8.0 came from the following:

1. Rhino requires that Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 are installed.
  2. The Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 requires Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows
  3. Which has the following prerequisites, quoted from Microsoft:

To install this update, you must have April 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (2919355) installed in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2. Or, install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. Or, install Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista and for Windows Server 2008.

Nowhere is there mention of a service pack or update to Windows 8.0, and I can’t imagine how Windows 8.0 wouldn’t require its own set of updates if Windows 8.1 required some. Given that Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade from 8.0, I figured there’s no need to support Windows 8.0.

What prevents you from upgrading to Windows 8.1?

It looks like Microsoft is only supporting 8.1 these days, but not 8.0:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

As a personal policy, I do not '“upgrade” the OS on my computers - they are there for the life of the computer, which is about 4 years here. Just too much pain and time to do this for what is usually either very little return or actually a step backwards. I definitely regret my last attempt to upgrade a laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Upgrading to Windows 8.1 on this machine would lose a bunch of my customizations - notably to the start screen - which I would then have to re-create. Not interested.

The WIP, installed on this machine before this requirement happened, runs fine.

brian:
I think you made a reasonable decision not to support Win 8.0 for the WIP if Microsoft isn’t going to support 8.0 either. Doing so could result in some undocumented behavior in the future. I think you will need to make it explicitly clear to your potential Rhino 6 customers that Win 8.0 is not supported.

In my opinion, regarding the newer Microsoft versions over the past few years, is that the only thing “free” about them is the purchase price. The time you spend getting things to work is excessive and there are constant broadband automatic downloads. I made the mistake of upgrading three machines from Win 7 to Win 10. The hacks I had to use to make it work were nullified in the Win 10 “Anniversary Update”, so I purchased Win 8.0 and downgraded. I ironically chose a Win 8.0 downgrade over 7 thinking I would have better support. It turns out that even Vista may have been a better choice. I think I will just stick with Win 7 for now since it is the most productive version for me.

According to JB, a very recent version of our installer worked on Windows 8 - so I’ll see if we can add Windows 8 support back.

Logged as RH-36426.

This is unacceptable:

:astonished:

I think that lot of companies still work on win7, and will not change it soon, including one that I work in.
For our buissnes there is completly no reason to update higher than win7, due to specific software we use.
Does it mean that Rhino 6 is not for me?

I think Win 7 will probably work fine. However, they don’t want Win 8.0 for some reason. I am not going to upgrade this computer - as it works fine and there are a bunch of customizations I made that will get reset to 0 if I upgrade. So it just means that on my work computer I won’t run V6 anymore. The other computers I have are either already on 8.1 because it came with that (home workstation), or Win 10 - upgrade from win 7 (which I profoundly regret, Win 10 sucks).

–Mitch

That’s really bad.

So that message appears only if you are running Win8 then? We have a lot of computers still on Win 7. We don’t have any on Win 8 so we should be fine. As for Win10, once you shut off everything that turns it into a cloud portal it seems okay.

Dan

Not really. It’s still painful to get at certain settings without going through all the tablet - like screens. The start screen was nicely customizable in Win 8 (with a helper app), they shut all that off in Win 10. I just don’t find it offers me anything more than Win 8.

–Mitch

I profoundly disagree. On my machine, Windows 10 works as good and in many ways better than Win7.
YMMV.

Dennis

1 Like