Windows 11 Wallpaper - can it be recreated in Rhino, Grasshopper?

I have been able to recreate the Windows 11 wallpaper in Blender 3D as shown here: https://wallpaperhub.app/wallpapers/9256#Light

Is there a way to get this done in Rhino either with or without GH?

I have yet to find a tutorial that covers this.

How did you create it in Blender?

Multiple ways:

What I am looking for is whether Rhino (with or without GH) can do this sort of design, advice on how to start something like this and/or a tutorial.

Thank you for responding!

Of course it can, 75 different ways. It’s just a wavy thing under no manufacturing constraints, we all do stuff 10X more complex before breakfast. You can probably follow the general approach of any of those tutorials.

1 Like

Sounds like a new Rhino challenge coming on. Haven’t had one for a while. @JimCarruthers, why don’t you kick us off and show us yours?

2 Likes

@JimCarruthers:

One of the main parts of most of the tutorials is the use of modifiers (cloth, wind and self-collision) with animation to get the curves/meshes to change configuration in each frame, thus allowing for 100 different outcomes in 100 different frames.

My trouble in Rhino is getting the wavy things to appear to be folded amongst each other in seemingly random and organic ways without having to model each wavy thing, thus needing to create the curves/meshes individually.

I believe GH might be able to do the above, but I am not certain where to start.

Could you suggest a starting point (for a more parametric method) using GH?

If you want a parametric approach you could look into Kangaroo which can do cloth collisions. I don’t have any personal experience of this; @DanielPiker is the man.

If you want to create something like this by drawing in Rhino the best approach is probably to start with subd. I did this quite quickly:

It started with a subd plane with around 7 panels in each direction (in the original Microsoft Bloom image the sheets are not circular, they have rounded corners). I turned on the vertices selection filter and rotated the bottom vertices like I was folding a sheet of paper in half, leaving a slight gap at the top. I then rotated alternate columns forwards or backward around the fold line, then randomly moved a few individual vertices to add fluidity. I offset the subd outwards to create a second surface and then tweaked its vertices to stop it being an exact copy.

I then converted the two subds to nurbs and tweened the result to get intermediate surfaces. These were offset outwards slightly to add thickness.

I don’t know how far you could take this approach - the more complex you get, the greater the likelihood of sheets intersecting one another.

Regards
Jeremy

1 Like

@jeremy5 Thank you for pointing me to Kangaroo.

I was also thinking of using FlexHopper.