Why is the grid & dimensions in "large objects - millimeters.3dm" so small?

Dynamic Grid is a pretty ancient wish. Added my vote:
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-12039

1 Like

As usefull as if you’d wish to change background color of template file…

What template? You don’t need template for that. It’s a Rhino setting.
The usefulness you can see if you’re working with software that have the grid properly created.

Are you Captain Obvious’s son?

Yes there is, because in an office environment, how do you deploy this to all users?

Another very good point to this that I forgot. I always have to go in and update the unit drawing, because the default arrows and fonts are literally too small to even show up on large objects.

Same problem with training courses. Millimeter is standard and frustration is big when users cannot read dimensions or line-types. You don’t want to go with them through the options and tweak settings.

I think this is an IT infrastructure problem
Reference these kinds of config files from network drives.

Training courses are most often done on individual user’s laptops these days. You are trying to make a problem that can be solved simply by providing a proper template into a corporate network nightmare.

Well, then you should add how to prepare templates in the course :wink:
As well as send them a package of config files :wink:

We do. But it shouldn’t be necessary. Grid size is easy to fix, but adjusting dimension/annotation styles is painful - for beginners and even more advanced users. Personally, that section is the part I hate the most about Rhino.

You can’t avoid this when the software is “broad-spectrum”
DS’ trainings are also like this, users are provided with configuration files. Even the preferences between different disciplines have impact on each other, so configs between departments are different.

One cannot use the same precision and even “anti-aliasing” for ship global modeling and for medical equipment.

Yes, but you can easily provide a starting point closer to the correct end of the spectrum in this case.

Examples of how others do this don’t really interest me, I am mainly interested in making Rhino uniquely better than the others (in as many aspects as possible).

Giving example because I think this is a normal thing.

Your entire reasoning is not why I created this thread (note what I wrote in parenthesis in my first post).

What I want to know is what is the reasoning from McNeel on this, other than what appears to be neglect/oversight?

Why, in the McNeel provided large object templates, is the grid and the drawing dimensions just a few millimeters across?

1 Like

Since you are answering to my post.

I know why this thread was created and I support the question. Grid should cover the complete space.

1 Like

And Mitch, so do I.

This has been in Catia since the dawn of CatiaV5
It’s a preference, not a template file.

But they also failed to combine it with reasonable file tolerances.
Almost all architectural Catia files I’ve got were with 0.0001mm tolerances (or smaller).

Hi Robert -
We will be changing the default templates for Rhino 7 and have this on our list as RH-52311 (only visible to developers). The initial text in that issue says:

The Default dimension style seems worthless. Default does not works well for metric or imperial.
For imperial, text set to 1 unit is too big.
And for metric, 1 unit is too small.

This discussion provides a few points that we will use as a checklist as we work on that issue and I’ve added a link to this thread.

That said,

We will not be able to provide template files that will fit each and every user out of the box. For some, “large objects” will be max 10 meters, for others they will be at least 1 000 meters. Modifying factory-default templates will always be necessary.

Thanks for your feedback,
-wim

3 Likes

Don’t know what you mean, please elaborate.

This is what I want to see in Rhino in one way or another: