Why did CurveNearSurface move this match so much?

This is a surface that was previously matched to the underlying surface. Then I slid the second and third row control points around a little bit using the MoveUVn tool, and this happens:

GIF 03.07.2020 11-55-11

Why does the command move the surface by almost a millimeter?

curvenearsurface-offset.3dm (101.0 KB)

EDIT: Also, I have backface colors on, so that’s why it turns red, but not sure why the match would cause the surface to flip…

Hello - it should not do this, of course, but the problem is the target surface is rational - this causes extra problems, and I do not know if these are easily solvable, for MatchSrf. If you RebuildUV the target surface in U, it should behave.

The surface that is put into the document has the ‘flip’ flag set (i.e. not the natural normal) but the preview does not know about that flag.

-Pascal

-Pascal

Thanks. So I’m working a lot with revolves and lines on this current model… so it’s a bit weird that Rhino has trouble handling (too simple?) surfaces itself created from its most basic tools…

Hello - simple is fine - the problem is that exact surfaces that are arcs, and circles and revolves etc etc, are rational.

-Pascal

Ok, so how do I convert them or prevent them from being generated by Rhino’s tools? I’m used to having a checkbox that simply turns them off. Does Rhino have something similar?

Revolve command option Deformable=Yes will result in a non-rational surface.
http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/index.htm#commands/revolve.htm

Deformable = Yes

The surface is rebuilt on the ‘around’ direction to a degree-3 non-rational surface. Specify how many points in that direction. Deformable revolves can be deformed smoothly with point editing.

Deformable = No

The resulting revolved surface is an exact revolve: a rational surface with fully-multiple knots at the quadrants. This kind of surface is not easy to deform smoothly by point editing.

Circle and Arc commands do not appear to have an option for non-rational results.

Rebuild or RebuildUV will convert a rational cuve or surface to a non-rational cuve or surface. The conversion will not be exact because a circle or arc cannot be exactly represented (no deviation) by a non-rational NURBS curve/surface. However the deviation from exact can be minimized by increasing the number of points - more points results in less deviation. A circle rebuilt as a degree 3 curve with 8 control points has a maximum deviation of 0.11% of the radius. With 16 control points the deviation is 0.006% of th radius.

Thanks! How do I put this on a custom button?

I tried

! _Revolve _Pause _Pause _Deformable=Yes

but that didn’t work…

And there’s no program wide option to disable rational curves and surfaces?

EDIT:

Why am I not surprised? Even in a thread about something else, tool inconsistency follows me around… :roll_eyes:

Not that I know of.