When I adjust OpenGL 1.1 or OpenGL 2.1 and use the ruler feature

Dear All,
When I adjust OpenGL 1.1 or OpenGL 2.1 and use the ruler feature, the arrow does not display. Please provide me with a solution to improve this. Thank you.

Those lower levels are only there for if you are having problems with your GPU. Is there any reason you don’t have the slider all the way to the right?

Is there a way to configure Rhino’s OpenGL to support both OpenGL1.1 and OpenGL 2.1, When I adjust OpenGL to 1.1 or 2.1, it seems Rhino does not automatically adapt, resulting in the loss of some of Rhino’s features.

You should be setting OpenGL to its maximum setting (all the way to the right) unless you are having trouble.

I am facing an issue where the arrowhead of the ruler is not displayed when switching to OpenGL 2.1 or 1.1. In Rhino 7, the arrowhead displays correctly, but in Rhino8, it does not show up. I need your assistance in how to use OpenGL 1.1 and 2.1 in Rhino 8. Thank you.

Can you help me with that issue?

We need you to tell us why you are not using the maximum OpenGL level. Lower levels are expected to not provide the same features.
-wim

I believe OpenGL 4.1 is the minimum specification to support the features of Rhino 8 for Windows.

Under OpenGL 2.1 (I haven’t looked at 1.1) Leader arrowheads display correctly but not dimension arrowheads. It would seem that OpenGL 2.1 is capable of displaying the arrowheads, but something is getting in the way of it doing so.

Dimension Dots, Ticks and Open Arrows display correctly, all varieties of filled arrows do not.

If you replace one arrowhead on a dim with an Open Arrow or Rectangle (so you have a mismatched pair), the other filled arrowhead reappears.

Yes, this is probably a bug and it should be fixed. I’m trying to understand why this is even being tested as 2.1 is so low that the only reason to run there is that you have a whole lot of other problems well beyond drawing of arrows.

Yes, that is a more interesting question :thinking:

When I adjusted the graphics card Antialiasing setting 64X in combination with Rhino OpenGL 1.1 on Rhino 7 and Rhino 8, the lines on Rhino’s screen displayed very well without any jagged edges. However when switching to OpenGL 2.1, the ability to display arrowheads was lost. I hope the development team can investigate and help fix the arrowhead issue when using OpenGL 1.1 and OpenGL 2.1

There is no way that running Rhino at way-below-spec OpenGl settings will ever be any sort of priority for debugging. What’s your monitor resolution? This seems absurd.

You can try setting the parameters as I did, and the jagged line issue will no longer occur. The lines will display as beautifully as in Rhino 5. The screen resolution I am using is 1920x1080.

The setting doesn’t appear to exist on my 3090.

And this is so important to people they want to break everything else about their display why? It’s just funny. I dunno, I like being able to see lights and shadows.

I think the issue with displaying at OpenGL 1.1 and OpenGL 2.1 without showing the arrowheads might be a minor bug that needs fixing. Not everyone has the means to use 4K monitors and high-end graphics cards. I am using an NVIDIA T1000 8GB graphics card but still have to work at OpenGL 1.1.

I think so too; howeverRhino 8 allows adjusting OEPN GL down to 2.1 and OPEN GL 1.1 while still ensuring that features function normally. If adjusting isn’t possible, the display of the OPEN GL button wouldn’t make sense. I hope you consider fixing the double-headed arrow issue

I’m sorry, but that seems to me to be a dodgy assumption. If everything functioned normally at these lower levels there would be no need for McNeel to specify a minimum OpenGL level of 4.1 for Rhino 8…

This isn’t to say that you are wrong to ask that the arrowheads should work - the earlier OpenGL levels can support them, so as @stevebaer says above this should probably be fixed. Rather, it is to say you should be aware that more fundamental elements of R8 may not work in the older contexts.

Also, I’m intrigued to see some example screenshots to illustrate how bad the jaggies are when displayed by your graphic card when Rhino is set to its default settings. You say

but on a 1920 x 1080 monitor I find the R8 output better than R5 at default settings. I’ll attach an illustration, but of course it may not display well on your system, particularly while scaled down in this post! This shows R5 and R8 running simultaneously, using default settings, and displaying the same curve:

To my eye R8 is better - do you agree? How does your system compare?

Please try changing Rhino Background to black and you will see the difference in wire display of Rhino Versions

I don’t know if the issue of the arrow not displaying has been registered on Rhino’s list of bugs to be fixed.