What is the best way to create fabric (for example sheets on a bed) naturally

I’m looking for a script or a plugin that creates a sheet/fabric natural on a surface. Like Drape but more naturally. I found a movie on YouTube that was a script in Rhino and you see a surface flow on a destination. There are also some topics on this matter, but none of them have a sufficient answer.

For AutoCAD there are plugins/tools that can calculate a sheet of fabric naturally, for visualisations, clothing, interior.

Where can I find this for Rhino?

with grasshopper and kangaroo you should be able to that. a script could also work if you define certain edit points as constraint having the other points circumscribing intersecting objects for example. i am not a scripter but i believe that could work. but try grasshopper with kangaroo that will give you plenty options to play with either.

This is definitely not the best way for a user who just wants a sheet of fabric naturally, for visualisations, clothing, interior that looks good.

and this is certainly not very motivating :wink: for anybody to start with it.
i am curios what you have in mind as a suggestion then.

I don’t know how many hours it needs for someone starting out with Kangaroo to set something up that makes it possible to just throw a blanket, jacket, beanie on a couch and when baked everything just looks gorgeous, but it’ll make Marvelous Designer look cheap…

well he wanted a script, something finished is always better for a quick solution,
but grasshopper has interesting stuff to play with, one cant ignore that.
also scripting may be interesting but currently i cant offer one.

lets not decide for others what is complicated and what not pls.
and i still haven’t heard any suggestions from your side.

Hi Marcus and Richard, thank you for your respons and ideas.

Marvelous Designer is interesting because it look easy to use. Most of my work is technical, but sometimes you need a blanked or sheet that drop on a surface/object. On the other hand, Marvelous Designer is made for clothing and I don’t want to have to many apps to maintain for just ones a time a sheet of fabric naturally draped for visualisations that looks good.

Grasshopper and Kangaroo is interesting because this functionality I can use in more situations. However, I didn’t find a example with sheets of fabric.

I will experiment with it, thanks so far!!

(Pascal Golay) #8

Hi Edwin - fabric is generally not a good fit for NURBS surfaces - these are too flexible and stretchy to model fabric in any kind of predictable or realistically behaving way. Meshes are better for this, and Rhino itself does not have tools for fabric but as mentioned, Grasshopper/Kangaroo might be able to help.

-Pascal

A $385 (with black Friday deal) messy bed maker. I have to say, I’m strangely intrigued.

So Marvelous Designer is then a better solution?

Kangaroo 1 and Kangaroo 2 both come with examples. For Kangaroo 1 there is a folder called 08_collisions. In there are 7 examples. (Keep in mind what Pascal answered: “Grasshopper/Kangaroo might be able to help.” That also tells you, there are less people here being able to help you…)

Finally, people use it for all the stuff in ArchViz you can’t properly make using Rhino: Curtains, Cushions, Pillows, Sofas, Bedding Sets. Since that piece of software is successful, there is probably a good reason…

All I am saying, btw, is, that Kangaroo is not a plug-in that makes fabrics and clothing. You can invest a lot of time and use Kangaroo to produce that kind of stuff.

(Daniel Piker) #12

Here’s a go at this with Kangaroo:

I should warn though - this approach does currently have several issues, and will probably require some patience to make it work for your application.

• It is very slow because of the mesh collision
  • There is no friction between the cloth and the obstacle, so it will tend to slide off if left long enough
  • Since the collision is only calculated for the vertices of the cloth, the faces can end up penetrating slightly. Offsetting the mesh slightly can help avoid this, but means the cloth will no longer lie exactly on the surface.
  • Different properties for the fabric can be achieved by varying the mesh resolution and strengths of the stretch/shear/bending forces, but for those not familiar with Kangaroo/Grasshopper tweaking these might take a while.

I think there is potential for improvement on most of these points though.
Also - I’ve recently been testing some Rhino commands using the Kangaroo library without going through Grasshopper, for some simple applications, such as dropping objects onto the ground plane. This might be another good candidate for this.

Here’s the definition. It requires Kangaroo 2.1.4 and Weaverbird.
sofa_drape.gh (19.3 KB)

Agreed. Better to use a $0 all time tidy bed maker like blender. There are hundrets of tutorials how to drop cloth, below took less than 2 minutes to setup…

https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/2/b/2b6a8db515411c4c183c30af3e88c5dcd8030e4a.mov

c.

Honestly there is so much available at places like turbosquid for relatively low cost that I haven’t been able to justify making this type of thing. It’s way cheaper for your client if you just spend three minutes picking something and buy it vs. charge them for hours to make your own… I’ve very quickly amassed enough of a collection that I don’t need to buy much anymore. EDIT: this sortof presumes you’re not doing it for fun/hobby. In that case I’d follow the advice of those suggesting some other software. Better to do this in a mesh modeler vs. NURBS.

3DSMax fabric modifier would be my bet for a quick and accurate mesh for visualisation. Plenty of tutorials online and can be created even as a noob within 10-20 mins.

Rupert.

Hi Wynott,

Sure it is not for hobby and therefor I don’t have the time to learn more applications. this takes to long, learning curv… on the other hand, Rhino doesn’t support this. Buying is possible for a bed, but if I need a blanked in a new designed child bed or wagon/carrier, I can’t buy this. I’m a designer so I work with new products, most of the time. Rhino is my working space.