What hardware is slowing my processes down?

Hi, I’m using a fairly old PC that I’ve installed an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card in. The card has sped the PC up a lot but now even doing what I think is fairly simple grasshopper definitions, there is a lot of lag. Sometimes I have to go and make tea while it’s thinking. This is slowing my learning.

Could anyone pinpoint the best place to start upgrading this machine? I’d like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks.

|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz|
|Installed RAM|8.00 GB|
|Device ID|A92DFBB9-8BA3-4A5D-B5DA-65DDC0DD8E3D|
|Product ID|00330-50000-00000-AAOEM|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|
|Edition|Windows 10 Pro|
|Version|21H2|
|Installed on|‎01/‎06/‎2022|
|OS build|19044.2006|
|Experience|Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0|

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-C6N87NP
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU XL510AV
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard J01 v02.06, 09/06/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Product 1495
BaseBoard Version Not Available
Platform Role Workstation
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = 10.0.19041.1806
Username DESKTOP-C6N87NP\DESKTOP
Time Zone GMT Summer Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.96 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.83 GB
Total Virtual Memory 20.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.4 GB
Page File Space 12.7 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Your CPU is 11 years old, and it says the platform is some “small form factor” mediocre-when-new office machine. The 5-year-old GPU is probably too much for it, and there’s not much you can do to upgrade it. The amount of RAM is inadequate, but I dunno how much difference adding more would really make.

1 Like

The RAM is no doubt a very early DDR version with a very slow access speed compared to today’s.

It’s probably time to look for a new machine. It will be more advanced in all respects and probably won’t cost much more than the changes you could make to your old one.

HP is still a good place to look as is Dell and several others.

1 Like

Any hardware that is more important for rendered view? Or is it all the same?

I’m on a mediocre hp laptop myself and get what I need with the rhino render engine, except it lags to much. As I start adding materials and textures it can take a few seconds to update after rotating the view.
Would some more ram help at all or is a graphics card, processor speed or video card more important? This is really not my territory, as you probably can tell :wink:

1 Like

Yes same here. I was on a Dell laptop that I borrowed, but had to give it back. So I got this tower and am now struggling with some render ops and particularly with Grasshopper. I think learning to write the GH files better would help enormously having been told the files I made are HUGE!

As you say, not my domain but I understand I just need a new machine :sob:

Okay so if you’re on a budget, don’t get a laptop–everyone seems to do this I don’t get it I incredibly rarely have actual use for my laptop, it’s like wow I’m sure glad I spent $2000 for that 1-1/2 hours of half-assed sorta work at the library!–or an “office” machine–which is just going to have overpriced underperforming laptop-grade hardware inside–and not from the likes of HP or Dell as it’s likely to have a bunch of proprietary crap that will make it impossible to upgrade. Get a “gaming” machine, or a “workstation”–and not a bloody ‘compact’ one either, something with a Xeon!–or scratch-build.

1 Like

I get the laptop issue. That’s why i got this cheap, old tower and it’s great! £120 plus a GPU and it works. But it’s struggling with some of my idiotic mistakes now. I really have no idea what I need. Any off the shelf sugfgestions?

I often run Rhino on an old laptop with a newer but less powerful CPU than yours and a low end Nvidia graphics chip and it’s happy with everything except rendering and maybe heavy mesh manipulation in Grasshopper (I’m lucky enough to have a much more powerful desktop for those). The laptop does have 16GB of memory, which I’d regard as a minimum.

So if you need to render more than once in a blue moon you need to look at a new setup, but if you just want to design stuff then you could look to a memory upgrade.

You may be shocked by how much memory for an old machine like yours costs - it’ll probably be more expensive per GB than the latest, fastest memory. If you are a gambler you could go for 2nd hand memory.

If you have empty memory slots in your machine you might be tempted to add to your existing memory but that is not recommended because you want memory sticks to be the same in each slot, so look for 16GB (or 32GB) in total and junk (or resell) the existing sticks.

HTH
Jeremy

1 Like

thanks @jeremy5

I’ll have a look for 2nd hand 32g memory and if not then consider an upgrade. I only need web graphic renders and not often so maybe some memory will do it.

Giles

Until a year ago… I was running a 4970k with 32GB of DDR3 and my machine is always responsive. I had to open a large model to hit the limit of RAM and getting into page file slowness.

When it comes to 3D modeling . Memory capacity is more important than memory speed .

I think getting a bigger memory can help also make sure you install a fast SSD (probably SATA form factor) will enhance your experience.

2 Likes